Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Retro Video of the Week: "Livin' In America" by James Brown

Happy birthday, America.  I've incuded both the official music video and the scene from Rocky IV where James Brown performs the song.  There is significant overlap between the two, but it's important to watch both.  Let's not forget that Drago was juicing and killed Apollo Creed.  Rocky's victory over Drago was an allegory for the impending fall of communism.  At least that's how I took it when I first saw the movie when I was eight. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the once-successful Rocks trivia team, whose name, No Longer Livin' In America, was a heartfelt tribute to the Godfather of Soul upon his then-recent passing, and really started the trend of using recently deceased celebrities as inspiration for hilarious trivia team names.

No comments: