Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Retro Videos of the Week: "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker, Jr., "I Want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis & The News, and "Pop Muzik" by M

Given Harold Ramis's passing earlier this week, "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker, Jr. seemed like an appropriate Retro Video of the Week. "Ghostbusters" rose all the way to #1 on the Billboard charts for three weeks in August 1984.  And because "Ghostbusters" unabashedly plagiarized its melody from "I Want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis & The News (which was also released in 1984 and was itself a Top 10 hit that year), I am including that video as well. And because the repeating riff in "I Want a New Drug" is eerily similar to the one in "Pop Muzik" by M (which was a #1 hit in 1979), I am including that video as well. There is nothing like "Pop Muzik."


No comments: