Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Tuesday Top Ten: Favorite Rolling Stones Songs

Fifty years ago today, the Rolling Stones recorded "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," one of top five most iconic songs in rock and roll history.  To honor this blessed occasion, I am giving you my top ten favorite Rolling Stones songs.  I know what you're thinking:  "GMYH, didn't you already post your Top Ten Favorite Rolling Stones Songs on October 1, 2008?  And wasn't it a day late, on a Wednesday?"  You have an excellent memory, fair reader.

But it's six and a half years later.  Since then, I've had three kids (who I've tried to teach that you can't always get what you want), gone to at least five concerts, and my top ten favorite Rolling Stones songs have changed somewhat.  But mostly they've stayed the same.  Anyway, here are my ten favorite Rolling Stones songs, with YouTube clips for each, so you, too, can hear what I hear when I hear these songs that I hear.

Honorable mention:  "19th Nervous Breakdown" (single, 1966); "Paint It, Black" (Aftermath, 1966); "Salt of the Earth" (Beggars Banquet, 1968); "Let It Loose" (Exile on Main St., 1972); "Rocks Off" (Exile on Main St., 1972); "Before They Make Me Run" (Some Girls, 1978); "Waiting On a Friend" (Tattoo You, 1981).

10.  "I'm All Right" (Out of Our Heads, 1965)
This is a fantastic early Stones song that bridges that gap from the electric blues of Chicago to the bopping mod beats of mid-'60s Britain -- which is essentially what the band was all about.


9. "Moonlight Mile" (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
This is such a mellow song, but there's something about it that draws me in.  The song just kind of washes over you.  It reminds me of walking home (probably from a bar) alone in the middle of a street full of snow before the plow has gotten to it, on a quiet winter night, and the light from the streetlights illuminates everything as it bounces off the snow.  It's not too cold, and I'm probably a little drunk, but it's a peaceful intoxication because it's one of those rare times that I have completely to myself, even if it's only for a few minutes, so I walk a little slower than I usually would.  Anyway, that's what I think of when I hear the song.  Stop looking at me like that.


8. "The Last Time" (Out of Our Heads, 1965)
This is the first Stones song written by Jagger & Richards to hit #1, but it wouldn't be the . . . last . . . time. Ah-thank you!  But seriously, folks, it's a catchy song with that swirling guitar riff and a powerful message:  listen to to Mick Jagger's advice, or else you'll be sorry.


7. "Little T&A" (Tattoo You, 1981)
Sung by Keith Richards, I think the following line -- describing the woman who is the subject of the song -- sums it up: "My tits and ass with soul, baby."


6.  "Honky Tonk Women" (single, 1969)
From the cowbell intro to the twangy guitars to the lyrics about banging chicks, this song as a lot to offer.  It's also a pretty solid karaoke choice for you guys out there who want to sing the line "'Cause I just can't seem to drink you off my mind."


5. "Some Girls" (Some Girls, 1978)
This is a raunchy, bluesy ditty, with a fuzzed-out harmonica intro that oozes lust, which make sense, since the song is about the ins and outs of courting and banging women of different races and national origins.  The bluesy, cocksure sound and attitude of this song stands in contrast to their disco-rock hit "Miss You," from the same album.


4. "Get Off of My Cloud" (December's Children (And Everybody's), 1965)
One of the great drum intros of all time, and one of the best early Stones songs, in my opinion (although I suppose that is obvious, given its position on this list).


3. "Midnight Rambler" (Let It Bleed, 1969)
It should come as no surprise to you that I enjoy a driving blues song with a badass harmonica and lyrics allegedly based on quotes from the Boston Strangler's confession.


2. "Dead Flowers" (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
I still say this is the best song in rock and roll history about doing heroin in a basement with some chick as a way to get back at your girlfriend while she's at the Kentucky Derby.  It has become my second-favorite Rolling Stones song.


1. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
This is still my favorite Stones song.  The fucking balls on this riff.  I think it's the best opening riff in rock and roll history.  As I've said before, I have listened to that riff over and over again, just hitting the "back" button after about 25 seconds into the song.

No comments: