Sunday, October 01, 2017

Rocktober Is Here!

Hello, my pretties.  We've walked around the sun again, haven't we?  That means Rocktober is here once again.  As I do every October, I am going to fill you up with a daily dose of rock, at least on the weekdays where I'm in the office or have access to a computer.  Last year, I focused on Deep Cut Artists.  In 2015, the theme was the Glorious Ladies of Rocktober.  In 2014, I did Deep Cut Songs.  In 2013, it was live songs and albums.  This year is going to be a special Rocktober for me.  In honor of my fortieth October (on this planet, anyway), Rocktober will feature all hair band songs.

You may not know this about me, but I love hair band music.  I listen to only hair band music every Friday because it never fails to get me in the right mood for the weekend.  Even when your work week has sucked, hearing "Nothin' But A Good Time" on a Friday afternoon helps turn that frown upside down.

All of the songs this month will have been released at some point during the "Hair Band Era," which I define as July 25, 1980, when AC/DC's Back in Black album was released, through May 23, 1992, when Def Leppard's Adrenalize -- the last hair band album to reach No. 1 on the Billboard album charts -- was knocked from the top of the album charts by Kris Kross's Totally Krossed Out. 

There will be no repeated artists during the course of the month.  There will be big guns and there will be little fighters, but rest assured, everything will rock rock till you drop.  I'm going to try my best not to repeat songs that I have featured in prior Rocktobers, but that will be difficult, so there may be some overlap.  As always, the week leading up to Halloween -- we'll say from 10/25 to 10/31, since Halloween is on a Tuesday this year -- will feature songs with dark, evil, or macabre themes.  Retro Video of the Week will be suspended during Rocktober, but Hair Band Friday will continue to thrive.  All. Month. Long.


So when you want that mainline injection of songs that made you want to leave your Midwestern home and take a bus to the Sunset Strip, you stop by this here blog every weekday in October.  GMYH'll take care of you.  These five words I swear to you.

No comments: