Monday, November 24, 2008

CD Review: Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses -- perhaps the most long-awaited album this side of Smile -- was released today. It arrived this morning (I pre-ordered it), allowing me to listen to it over and over again for most of the day (which I do with all new CDs). I had debated about whether or not to write a review, but luckily I do not have to do so. Tron sent me a link to a review of Chinese Democracy on The Onion AV Club website by none other than my favorite author, Chuck Klosterman. After reading Klosterman's review, I have predictably come to the conclusion that I could not have written anything better. Anyway, check the review out, and check the album out as well. I wasn't sure what to expect, yet the album is about what I expected. If that doesn't make any sense, it shouldn't. I haven't listened to it enough to comment on the lyrical content, but sonically, some of the songs are in the vein of "Estranged," picking up where Use Your Illusion left off, while others are somewhat strange, while others are grandiose, while others are ball busters. Axl can still wail. Frankly, I'm just glad it didn't suck.

Overall, I'd give it 4 Handrews.* Thus far, my favorite songs are "Shackler's Revenge," "I.R.S.," and "Better."

*GMYH CD Review Scale:
-6 Handrews - Buy it now. NOW!!
-5 Handrews - Excellent album that you should seriously consider purchasing in the near future
-4 Handrews - Very good album that you should at least check out on iTunes
-3 Handrews - If you want it, download it illegally
-2 Handrews - Somewhere between Britney Spears and William Hung
-1 Handrew - Ashlee Simpson
-0 Handrews - PopoZao

No comments: