Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten: Memories of The Vu

It is with great sadness that I report to you that Déjà Vu -- the late-night bar on Lincoln Avenue, not the many strip clubs around the world with the same name -- is no more. It will now be known as the Rock House -- a live music venue, which, according to their website, will have no cover. Actually, this is a vast improvement over the Vu, but nonetheless, the Vu will be missed.

In the hierarchy of Lincoln Park 4 a.m. bars, the Vu held a firm spot between The Store on the upper end and Beaumont on the lower end. It was the kind of place you went to when you just wanted a few more beers or RBVs after the regular bars had closed (or perhaps wanted to hear some Latin-influenced rock band that for some reason is playing at a dance club on a Friday night), but you didn't want to get in a fight or go trolling for someone drunker than you (Beaumont) or play pop-a-shot (The Store).

For anyone who frequented the Vu, you know it's a place where memories -- and sometimes, babies (not ours) -- are made. Because I'm a sucker for a pregnant chick, I'm going to be posting Jester's top ten memories of the Vu, and then my top ten memories.

Jester's Top Ten Memories of the Vu:

10. Same as Andrew's #7.

9. When the gals and I had a whole bag of Cubs Old Style pint glasses we had acquired at an out-of-control Waterhouse happy hour give away and we hid them in the bushes outside the Vu (don't worry, we got them on our way out).

8. Multiple occasions of Ari and the anonymous wife of Alex chugging 40s behind the 7-11 next to the Vu.

7. When it was super hot and I had to take my strapless bra off on the dance floor and put it in my purse and Brian said it was the most amazing move he'd ever seen (he still brings it up sometimes).

6. When the anonymous wife of Alex ran to the bathroom to throw up and somehow returned from the bathroom with a whole tray of shots.

5. The night we took the teachers to their first Hillbilly Sunday.

4. Not a memory, but I love the fact that Reed met his future wife in line at the Vu, a place I would most definitely vote "last place on earth to meet someone meaningful."

3. Many hours of video bowling and Photohunt.

2. Drinking greyhounds with Ari and Brian.

1. They all drunkenly blend together, but every night when I first moved to the city and the gals and I would cap out a good night at The Apartment with a trip to the Vu.

On that note, I'm sad my future child will never know all the joy the Vu had to offer.

GMYH's Top Ten Memories of the Vu:

10. Going to the upstairs of the Vu once, sitting down on one of the couches, and immediately contracting pretty much every strain of hepatitis.

9. Sitting on the pool tables, but never actually playing pool.

8. Gregerson sitting at the nudie photo hunt machine pretty much every weekend night between 2 and 4 (and 5 on Saturday nights). Go Moops!

7. The relocation of Hillbilly Sundays, and, with it, the very confused look on people's faces as they walked into a dance club at 1 a.m. hoping to grind on some chicks, only to hear Toby Keith blaring. Often, that resulted in the ordering of one beer, and then a prompt exit upon realizing that the country music simply was not going to stop playing.

6. Even though I wasn't there: Reed meeting Sarah (his fiancé) in line to get into the Vu and, within three hours, holding the record for longest relationship spawned by the Vu.

5. Same as Jester's #8, except she forgot to mention the peeing in giant recycling bins.

4. Taking money from, and losing money to, Gregerson at Silver Strike, which was eventually replaced by the punching bag game.

3. Some chick spraying vomit like a sprinkler all over Luke and his girlfriend while they were sitting at the bar rather early one Hillbilly Sunday. Seriously, it was only 8, and this chick was more slammed than the anonymous wife of Alex (see Jester's #6).

2. Some she-monster drinking Gregerson's beer while he was outside smoking, and after Jessie said "I think you accidentally drank my friend's beer," the she-monster trying to choke Jessie and yelling "I'll do something!"

1. Accidentally punching a mute woman who was standing too close to the punching bag game as hard as I could square in her back, and then spending the next 20 minutes apologizing to her and her giant boyfriend (who was also a mute) -- both of whom were glaring at me -- and unsuccessfully offering to buy them drinks. Somehow I came out of it looking like the good guy because the bartender yelled at the mutes for not accepting my profuse apologizing and offers of drinks.

I encourage all of you to post your favorite memories (or quasi-memories) of the Vu.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl: "Why aren't you talking to my friend."

Guys: "Sorry, we're just trying to have a few beers tonight."

Girl: "Whatever, you're way too old for us anyway."

Different Guy: "That's funny, because you're too unattractive for us."


Not nearly as entertaining as the shouting match that followed with Ari about the funniness of this story.

gregerson said...

I will always appreciate the 3-4 years of not waiting in line or paying cover.

It just got really dusty in my living room. Good night, sweet prince.

Leaf said...

That's where I met my fiance... oddly enough.

I always had to specify to people, not the strip club, the late night bar... which didn't really sound much better.