Friday, June 19, 2009

Poll: Van Halen I vs. Appetite for Destruction

It is Hair Band Friday, so it's only appropriate that I start up a poll befitting of the day. I was watching a DVR'd episode of That Metal Show the other night. (By the way, if you have VH1 Classic and like hard rock and/or heavy metal, I highly recommend That Metal Show.) One every episode, they have something called the "Throwdown," where the three hosts and the guest(s) debate a metal-related match-up and discuss it for two minutes. Previous topics have included Ozzy-era Black Sabbath vs. Dio-era Black Sabbath, Tawny Kitaen vs. Bobbie Brown, and old Metallica (pre-Black Album) vs. new Metallica (Black Album to present). It's good stuff for the thinking metal fan.

Anyway, on the episode that I just watched (with Frankie Bello of Anthrax as the guest), the Throwdown was the most difficult I've had to deal with. The question was: Which is a better debut album, Van Halen's Van Halen or GNR's Appetite for Destruction?

Holy mother, don't make me choose. I'm still not sure where I stand on it. They are both two of the best and most important hard rock albums of all-time. I hesitate to write too much about either of them because they are both exhibitions in sonic alchemy in their own right. Thus, below are the track listings and songs for each album. Decide for yourself. You have one week.

Van Halen
Released: 1978
Albums sold in U.S.: 10 million
Track listing:
1. "Runnin' with the Devil"
2. "Eruption"
3. "You Really Got Me"
4. "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love"
5. "I'm the One"
6. "Jamie's Cryin'"
7. "Atomic Punk"
8. "Feel Your Love Tonight"
9. "Little Dreamer"
10. "Ice Cream Man"
11. "On Fire"




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


Appetite for Destruction
Released: 1987
Albums sold in U.S.: 18 million
Track listing:
1. "Welcome to the Jungle"
2. "It's So Easy"
3. "Nightrain"
4. "Out ta Get Me"
5. "Mr. Brownstone"
6. "Paradise City"
7. "My Michelle"
8. "Think About You"
9. "Sweet Child o' Mine"
10. "You're Crazy"
11. "Anything Goes"
12. "Rocket Queen




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments: