Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten: Desert Island Movies

Yes, I know it's technically a "deserted" island, and not "desert" island, since that doesn't technically make sense, but calm down, Holt.

If -- no, when -- I find myself stranded alone on a deserted island, I'm going to want to watch some movies to pass the time between scavenging the island for game and open-minded native chicks. Frankly, it's pretty amazing that I have a DVD player and electricity on this deserted island, but no means of communications, but I supposed I'd get to that eventually.

When thinking about the movies I would want with me, they wouldn't necessarily be my ten favorite movies, however. I'd go with movies that would keep me entertained, happy, and upbeat. Thus, horror movies, depressing movies, and movies about being stranded on an island are at a minimum.

These are in no particular order, other than reverse alphabetical by penultimate letter.

Mallrats. While Mallrats isn't the most critically acclaimed of Kevin Smith's movies, I still find it to be absolutely hilarious. Jason Lee is awesome in this movie.

Braveheart. Braveheart will be important in my quest to keep my medieval Scottish lowland battle skills honed. I also imagine I will want to keep my Scottish accent honed.

Old School. This was the final addition to the list, beating out Animal House, only because I felt like I would like a comedy starring Will Farrell.

Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland. I've always found this to be the greatest of the Sleepaway Camp trilogy. It has it all: swearing, boobs, references to the western suburbs, and annoying camp counselors getting their heads run over with a lawn mower.

The Royal Tenenbaums. I had to include a Wes Anderson movie, and this is my favorite one. Plus I recently took a "Which Wes Anderson character are you?" quiz on Facebook, and I was Richie Tenenbaum (Baumer).

The Big Lebowski. Mark it 8, dude.

Dazed and Confused. I've loved this movie since the moment I saw it in the summer of 1994, when many of the characters in the movie would have been approximately 35.

Fletch. Chevy Chase's performance in this is one of the great all-time comedic performances. Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Caddyshack. I'm sure I don't need to explain why this is on the list, since I assume it should be on nearly every person's list.

Breaking Away. I will need a constant visual reminder of Bloomington, and what better reminder than an Academy Award winning movie about Little 500.

Also considered, but just missing the cut: Airplane, Animal House, Back to the Future, Best in Show, Christmas Vacation, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, Real Genius, Road House, Rock Star, Tombstone, Top Gun, Zoolander

2 comments:

tron said...

I find it hard to believe The Shawshank Redemption and The Usual Suspects didn't make the list.

Trashton said...

I feel that a Christopher Guest movie would be of great importance. "Best in Show" or "This is Spinal Tap" would be good choices, in my humble opinion...