Thursday, August 20, 2009

Backpacks and Sneakers

You know what I find odd? When a man is wearing a suit and, at the same time, either a backpack or gym shoes. I saw both on the train today. The first was a guy who looked to be in his forties wearing a nice navy blue suit. And a red backpack. Then I saw another guy -- this one was in his mid twenties -- wearing a nice charcoal pinstripe suit. And Nike running shoes. Both of these people looked ridiculous.

Now, admittedly, I don't have much fashion sense. Hell, I prefer t-shirts and shorts. It's a comfortable combination. Breathable. But I do have some common sense. Wearing a backpack with a suit makes you look like a kid going to school on picture day. When you're wearing a polo and khakis, fine. But not when you're wearing a suit.

As for the gym shoes, I can understand why women wear running shoes on their commute, since I have been lead to believe that women's work shoes are generally uncomfortable. But dudes wearing suits and gym shoes look like dufuses. I've never owned a pair of work shoes that was so painful that I felt the need to wear different shoes for my commute. If I did, I suppose I'd either suck it up or get another pair of work shoes.

No comments: