Monday, August 10, 2009

New Book - Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

I finished The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, and it was a pretty quick read. The point of the book is to analyze why epidemics (social, cultural, and medical) occur, and the theories Gladwell puts forth are pretty interesting, using real-world examples. I don't want to give too much away, but for every epidemic there is something called a tipping point.

I have moved onto Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. Palahniuk, of course, is the author of Fight Club (which I have not read), as well as many other books, including Haunted, which I read a couple years ago, but did not feel the need to discuss on GMYH for reasons that are unknown to me. Anyway, Choke is the classic tale about a sex addict med student/colonial recreationist who fakes choking in restaurants to guilt the people who save him into giving him money to pay for his mom’s medical expenses. It was made into a movie starring Sam Rockwell and Anjelica Huston that came out last year (which I have not seen). I'm about 80 pages in, and I like it so far.

Books read in 2009:
The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis
Oh The Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey
I Hate New Music: The Classic Rock Manifesto by Dave Thompson
Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal by Ian Christe
Tearing Down the Wall of Sound: The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga by Ian Christe
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

No comments: