Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Tuesday Top Ten: Interesting Questions from the Weekend

Sunday evening, as is the custom, Gregerson and Chenandler Bong had a Fourth of July party on their roof deck. Libations were consumed, fireworks displays were seen, and whether we could hit the building kitty corner across the intersection with a baseball was debated.

In addition, the Brothers Weeser* (minus Dan and Greg, oddly), Tradd, Gregerson, Emily, Kara, Jester, and others had some good discussions based on some odd questions posited by Tim, followed up by some odd questions by me. There were a few statistical questions, assuming there was some sort of Elias Sports Bureau-type organization that kept track of everything you've ever done. Others were more along the "what if" variety.

Here are ten of those questions (in no particular order), with my answers.

1. Which band or musician do you think you've listened to the most over the course of your life?
The Beatles would have to be tops by a decent margin, with The Doors, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, and Guns N' Roses in a battle for that second spot.

2. How many times in your life have you been drunk? For sake of ease, include when you were buzzed at all, so whether you were only a little tipsy or full-on hammered, include it.
I'm guessing for me it's over 1,000. Tim seemed to think 500 would be a lot, but he didn't know me when I was in college. He does have a point that you probably think you drink a lot more than you actually do, but I still think Tim is underestimating. Let's look at the math for me. I figure that I've been drinking for about the past 16 years. For two of those years, I was in high school, so I got drunk less frequently than after that. Let's say I got drunk 30-40 times in high school. In college, I think I averaged 3-4 nights a week and, in law school, 2-3 nights a week. (For both of those, I'm including summer and winter breaks.) College alone would put me at 624-832. Law school adds another 312-468. Since graduating law school, I have probably averaged 1.5 times a week, which is another 546. All in all, that means I'm somewhere 1,512 and 1,886. Yowzah.

3. If you could give up the next year of your life starting right now (i.e., in a flash, it is exactly one year from now and you will never have any memory of the year) for the ability to never have to go to the bathroom again, would you do it?
Hell yeah. Think of all that time, discomfort, and uncertainty you would save if you never had to go to the bathroom again. Never again would you wake up having to take a piss with two hours before your alarm is going to go off and debate whether you should get out of bed or hold it. Never again would you have to worry about whether you should take a preemptive shit before you go to a bar. And ladies, never again would you have to wait in line to pee.

4. You have to chop off either your dominant hand or both of your feet. Which do you choose?
This one was a pretty mixed reaction. Personally, I would chop off both of my feet. The way I figure it, I wouldn't be able to type very well without both hands, and that would suck. Sure, I love footraces, but I can always get prosthetic feet. Or even bionic feet, and then all of a sudden I'm better off than before, without even having to worry about how I'm going to wash my hair or carry three beers at once.

5. You will be given an extra ten years on the end of your life if you agree not to have an orgasm of any kind for the next year (no sex, no masturbation, no nothing). Would you do it?
This was really tough, mainly because (1) everyone loves to come and (2) you don't know when you're going to die. Bear in mind that you could die tomorrow. If you know you're going to die when you're 95, then why bother adding another ten years if you have to give up a year of the good stuff. But if you're slated to die young, you might as well get ten years of banging in, in exchange for that one you give up. As much as it would suck for that one year, I'd go with Yes. I think I would also move to a remote cabin somewhere.

6. Would you want to know the month in which you are going to die? Not the year, but just the month. So, for instance, you would know you are going to die in August, but you don't know which August it will be.
No. Sure, I would be reckless as hell the other eleven months, and I'd get a lot done every July, but every damn day of August every year would be awful.

7. Do you think you could go 24 hours without urinating?
No. Even if I peed when I woke up and didn't have anything else to drink, I don't think I could do it.

8. Over the course of your life, have you had more alcoholic drinks out of cans, bottles, or cups/glasses?
This was another close one, but I'd have to go with cups/glasses, thanks in large part to college parties and my incurable love of draft beer.

9. List the top three beverages you have consumed over the course of your life in terms of total ounces.
1. Water
2. Milk
3. Beer

It was a tough call for number 3 between Diet Coke and beer, but I think my response to #2 pretty much sealed it for beer.

10. Which food have you eaten as a main course of a meal more than any other? For this, it should be somewhat specific (i.e., "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" is fine, but "sandwich" is not, although "pizza" is an acceptable answer).
I think I'd go with cereal, then pizza, then turkey sandwiches, then head cheese.

Feel free to post your answers. I'm also going to put my answers as a note on Facebook and tag all of my friends, and ask them to answer and then tag me and whoever else, with the hopes that this becomes the next "25 Random Things," only slightly more strange.

No comments: