Monday, August 02, 2010

New Book - When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

I finished Graceland by Chris Abani, and it was yet another stark reminder that I am glad I lived in Spring, Texas in 1983 and not a shanty town in Lagos, Nigeria. The story was about an Elvis impersonator, oddly enough named Elvis, who can't seem to find a steady gig, and whose mom is dead and dad is a drunk. Elvis gets himself into some pretty sticky situations, and the book gets pretty graphic in some spots, but I thought it was a good read.

After reading books about tennis players who hate playing tennis, suicidal heroin-addicted comedians, and living in squalor in constant fear of the military, I need something a little more lighthearted. Thus, I started reading When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. Having never read anything by Sedaris and having heard nothing but good things, I'm looking forward to it.

Books read in 2010:
Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman
Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Happy Hour is for Amateurs by The Philadelphia Lawyer
Dry by Augusten Burroughs
Open by Andre Agassi
Too Fat to Fish by Artie Lange
Graceland by Chris Abani

No comments: