Thursday, September 17, 2020

CoronaVinyl Day 146 (One-Hit Wonder): Outside Inside by The Tubes

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.
Keeping with my recent Tuesday Top Tens about one-hit wonders, today's CoronaVinyl category is one-hit wonders.  I'm going to use the same criteria as I used for those lists -- namely, that the band has to have had only one Top 20 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.  Of course, for this category to make sense in the context of CoronaVinyl, the album by the band or artist must be the album with that one hit.  And yes, I do have albums by one-hit wonders that do not contain their one hit.

I'm going with The Tubes' sixth studio album, 1983's Outside Inside, which contains the band's only Top 20 hit, "She's a Beauty," which went to #10.  The album was also the band's highest charting, reaching #18 on the Billboard album chart.

The album is a nice mix of pop and rock, with a little funkiness thrown in now and then.  The version of the album that I have must have been from an early pressing because, in the top right corner, there is an embossed eye chart spelling out the band and album name.  In later pressings, that and the album title at the top of the cover were changed to be red and blue, so that they were more legible.

Since you all know "She's a Beauty" -- which is a great song -- I'm not going to pick that as my favorite on Side 1.

Favorite song from Side 1:  "Out of the Business"
"Out of the Business" is a solid early '80s rock and roll song.  It has some great guitar solos, and it kind of reminds me of Thin Lizzy.

Favorite song from Side 2:  "Tip of My Tongue"
This one is one of those funky songs I mentioned.  Funk guitars and horns make this one that should get you on the dance floor, were you so inclined.  It sounds like it could have just as easily been on a Morris Day & The Time album, which is a compliment.

No comments: