Monday, October 02, 2023

Rocktober '10s Song #1: "I Don't Wanna Hear It" by J. Roddy Walston & The Business (2010)

Our rocking journey through the teens begins with a song from one my favorite bands to emerge from the decade:  J. Roddy Walston & The Business.  I discovered them at Lollapalooza in 2011, when they were playing one of the earliest sets on one of the days.  Along with maybe a couple hundred other people, I got a treat.  They killed it, and I became a fan right then and there.  I would go on to see them another eight times between then and 2018, which means they currently retain sole possession of fourth place on my list of bands I've seen the most in concert.  (And since I know you're curious about the three above them, it's The Hold Steady (18), The Black Keys (11), and Def Leppard (10).)

The band formed in the early 2000s in Cleveland, Tennessee, which is near Chattanooga.  They self-released their debut album, Hail Mega Boys, in 2007, and then a couple years later, they were signed to Vagrant Records and released their self-titled sophomore album in 2010.

I'd describe their sound as, well, rock and roll.  Walston is kind of like a combination of the voice of Jim Dandy from Black Oak Arkansas and the wild piano-playing theatrics of Jerry Lee Lewis -- which always made for a fun show.  They have some hints of southern rock, garage rock, soul, glam ('70s, not hair), and blues rock.  Overall, they put out great music for most of the last decade, with their third album, 2013's Essential Tremors (the song "Sweat Shock" was featured in a Coors Light commercial around that time) and the follow-up, 2017's Destroyers of the Soft Life.  Then, unfortunately, they broke up in late 2019.

I'm going with "I Don't Wanna Hear It" off of their 2010 self-titled album.  To me, it's not only a kickass, foot-stomping, sing-along rock and roll song, but it's one of the songs that I most associate with the band's amazing live shows.

No comments: