Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Tuesday Top Ten: Favorite Ghost Songs of the '10s

No band that emerged in the last decade captured the spirit of Halloween and the macabre more than Swedish metal stalwarts Ghost.  I couldn't just limit myself to one Ghost song for this Rocktober's Halloween week, so you're getting ten.

I first heard of them on the much-missed VH1 Classic metal-focused talk show That Metal Show.  Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson would often recommend a newly released metal album, and one of them recommended Ghost's 2010 debut album, Opus Eponymous one week.  I checked it out, and I thought it was great.  

In 2013, I bought their sophomore album, Infestissumam, and I saw them live for the first time at Lollapalooza that year.  At the time, they were going by Ghost BC in the U.S., so for whatever reason, I didn't make the connection.  I also didn't realize they had anonymous stage personas, with lead singer Tobias Forge taking on the persona of Papa Emeritus (kind of demonic pope), and the rest of the band wearing matching masks and costumes, known only as the Nameless Ghouls.  They were fantastic live, and I've seen them five times since then in venues of varying sizes.  Behind the dark imagery of their stage show and lyrics, they're still just polite Swedes.  Forge -- whose alter ego has included three versions of Papa Emeritus and Cardinal Copia -- works a crowd wonderfully, and one of my friends who was at that 2013 Lolla show with me and I often greet each other with "Are you well?," which is what Papa asked the crowd at that show.

In total, Ghost released four studio albums last decade -- in addition to the two mentioned above, 2015's Meliora and 2018's Prequelle, both of which reached the Top 10 on the Billboard album chart -- as well as three EPs -- 2013's If You Have Ghost, 2016's Popestar, and 2019's Seven Inches of Satanic Panic.  Including songs released in this decade, Ghost has had nine Top 10 songs on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, including five #1s.  And again, because they're Swedish, underlying their heavy themes is a pop sensibility, even if I would never describe any of their music with the word "pop."

With that, here are my ten favorite Ghost songs from last decade, in chronological order.  It was tough to narrow it down, but I feel I've done my best, and that's all you can ask of me.

1.  "Con Clavi Con Dio" (Opus Eponymous, 2010)
After a weird gothic instrumental intro track, Ghost moves straight into its weird, lovely, dark metal.

2.  "Stand By Him" (Opus Eponymous, 2010)
Another gem from the first album.  And I don't think "Him" means what you think it means, Christians.

3.  "Monstrance Clock" (Infestissumam, 2013)
This one closes out Infestissumam, and since the first time I heard it, I have only set my watch to the monstrance clock.

4.  "Year Zero" (Infestissumam, 2013)
Starting out with a list of pseudonyms for the devil, in case it wasn't clear where the song is headed, the "hail Satan" at the start of the choruses gives you a clear indication.

5.  "Cirice" (Meliora, 2015)
This is probably my favorite Ghost song.  It's dark and beautiful and rocking, and the video is awesome.

6.  "From the Pinnacle To the Pit" (Meliora, 2015)
This one is a ball-busting, hard driving metal song that starts with a nice crunch bass riff.

7.  "Mummy Dust" (Meliora, 2015)
Another great, crushing song with a driving riff, "Mummy Dust" is about dust comprised of mummies.

8.  "Square Hammer" (Popestar, 2016)
Starting out with a catchy organ riff, "Square Hammer" asks a simple question or three.  Are you on the square?  Are you on the level?  Are you ready to swear right here, right now, before the devil?  I guess no, no, and I'll swear in front of anyone, so sure.

9.  "Dance Macabre" (Prequelle, 2018)
Lest you think that you can't dance to metal music, Ghost says otherwise. This is also another great video

10.  "Faith" (Prequelle, 2018)
This one starts with a nice little guitar intro before breaking into a pretty straightforward hard rock/metal song.

No comments: