Tuesday, October 03, 2023

Rocktober '10s Song #2: "Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll" by Foxy Shazam (2012)

Song number two of the '10s Rocktober is from another favorite band of mine from the last decade, Cincinnati's Foxy Shazam.  They formed in 1997 at Train of Thought, but then changed their name to Foxy Shazam in the mid aughts, releasing a couple records in the late 2000s before being signed to Sire records in 2010.  That year they released their self-titled third album, and I was going to go with "Unstoppable" from that album, but it wouldn't be couth to start Rocktober with two songs from the same year.

Instead, I went with "Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll" off of their 2012 album The Church of Rock and Roll, which, incidentally, is the only church to which I would want to belong.  In support of that album, they toured with The Darkness on their reunion tour, and that's when I first discovered Foxy Shazam.  They're another great live band, and I've been a fan since I saw them on that fateful night in February 2012 -- which also happened to be the day Whitney Houston died.

I've seen them several times live since then.  They broke up in 2014, but then reunited just in time for COVID to hit.  However, they have put out three albums since 2020.

"Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll" is a glammy banger that has since been featured on the trailer for the second season of the HBO show Peacemaker.  By the way, if you haven't seen the show -- which I haven't, admittedly -- it has an amazing soundtrack of hard rock and glam rock from various decades.  If you like this song and that kind of music is your bag, I highly suggest you check out the Peacemaker playlist on Spotify.

No comments: