Thursday, October 19, 2023

Rocktober '10s Song #14: "My Body" by Young the Giant (2010)

Alt/indie rockers Young the Giant Formed in The OC in 2004 as The Jakes, changing their name to Young the Giant in 2009.  A year later, they released their eponymous debut album, and it had middling success, reaching #42 on the Billboard album chart.

The album's first single was "My Body," a festival-ready anthem that has relatively subdued verses, before exploding into the frenzied choruses.  Whether they intended this or not, the song is a perfect workout song, not only because it rocks, but also because the chorus is all about overcoming physical fatigue:  "My body tells me no / But I won't quit / 'Cause I want more."  Or maybe it's about drinking too much.  Either way, it's a great song.

The song went to #65 on the Billboard Hot 100, as well as #5 on the Billboard Alternative Rock Tracks chart and #16 on the Billboard Rock Tracks chart.  The band has released four other studio albums since then, most recently last year's American Bollywood.

No comments: