Monday, November 21, 2011

Career Builder is Trying to Tell Me Something


I haven't used Career Builder in 5 or 6 years, but every now and then I will get an email from them with a job posting.  None of the job postings ever have anything to do with what I do.  I got one the other day.  The subject line said "Elgin Community College is Interested in People Like YOU."  Oh really?  I like the show Community, so I opened the email.  It said, "We think this position may be of interest to you based on your experience and qualifications."  The position?  "Custodian I (Third Shift)."  Burn. 

Granted, I did spend two summers during college working as a janitor at a high school, but I left that one off my resume.  Regardless, most of my time was spent napping in the gymnasium gym, watching bootleg videos of the first South Park short (Jesus vs. Santa), playing basketball against the full-time janitors (and getting smoked every day), smoking, and watching my co-worker lose a bet and strip the wax off of a floor without a shirt on, wearing a bow tie, only to have our rotund female supervisor walk in.  It was pretty much the best job I've ever had.  I guess after being a janitor at a high school, community college is the next logical step, with the end goal of one day janitoring in the pros.  What hurts the most about this email is that Career Builder clearly believes my "experience and qualifications" don't merit an 8-4 position, or even a 4-midnight position.

No comments: