Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Halloween Costumes (2011 Edition)

I meant to post this yesterday, but didn't have enough time, so here you go.

Maybe it's my pagan Roman heritage, or my pumpkin fetish, or the fact that my birthday is so close, but Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Last year, as you may recall, Jester and I carved pumpkins with an owl and Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie, respectively.  This year, Jester wasn't much interested in carving the pumpkin I bought for her, so I had two at my disposal.  The first one is Michael Myers, that indelible mute from Haddonfield.

The second one is Gene Simmons.  This one was especially satisfying for me because I tried to do it two years ago.  At the time, I did not have a pumpkin carving kit, so I was just trying to use kitchen knives.  Things started to fall apart, and I ended up punching a pumpkin.  This year, the result was better.

I didn't go to a party this year.  On the bright side, that meant that I didn't down a bottle of Jack.  On the downside, that meant that I didn't have a captive group of people in costume to photograph.  However, I did go to a concert (Robert Randolph and The Family Band at the Park West), as well as several bars, so I was able to see some good costumes.

Myself, I went as Wilfred.  Jester refused to go as Bear or Raffi.
Here are the ten (or slightly more) best costumes I saw that I remember or that I took a picture of.

10 (tie).  Veal.  Lollipop made her Halloween debut by going as a sweet, succulent baby cow.

10 (tie).  Triceratops.  Daughter followed up last year's buffalo with an animal that is actually extinct.

10 (tie).  Bat.  Jester puts little effort into Halloween, so she recycled the homemade bat costume she wore in 2005 and 2006 (the latter of which Ace Frehley does not recall).  It's a decent costume, but I'd like to see something else next year, like maybe a slutty bat.

10 (tie).  Bowler.  Obviously Gregerson's not a golfer.  And Daughter is not terribly impressed.

9.  Angus Young.  This was Daniel's second costume in two nights, and it was good, although not as good as his costume Friday night (see #1 below).

8.  Darth Maul and Queen Amidala.  Sure, it's so 10 years ago, but you have to appreciate the effort.

7.  Destro.  Although you can't really tell, the drummer for Robert Randolph and The Family Band appeared to be dressed as Destro from GI Joe.  The costume was sweet, but the fact that he kept it on longer than his other bandmates kept their costumes on is what impressed me most.

6.  Northbound Red Line CTA L train.  No word if he came on time later that night.  Hi-yoohhhhh!

5.  Jay Mariotti and his teenage sexual assault victim.  I guess he's not a fag.

4.  Prince.  Game.  Blouses.  (He was also a dead ringer for Little Richard.)

3.  Matt Foley.  This infant lives in a van down by the river.

2.  Mugatu.  That Hansel is so hot right now.

1.  Keith Stone.  Always smooth.

No comments: