Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Retro Video of the Week: "Too Late For Goodbyes" by Julian Lennon

Thirty years ago today, John Lennon's older son, Julian, released his debut album, Valotte.  The album cracked the Top 20 on both the US and UK album charts, and it featured three songs that made the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100, including the title track (#9), "Say You're Wrong" (#21), and "Too Late For Goodbyes" (#5).  I went with the last one because it's the only one I know, and I distinctly remember seeing the video on MTV as a kid.  Of course, as a 7-year-old, I had a vague notion of who John Lennon was, but didn't really grasp his majesty until many years later.  Now, of course, when I see this video, all I see is John.  Julian looks like him and sounds like him -- and that's not meant to be a slight on Julian.  Sons tend to look and sound like their fathers.  Oddly enough, I think the song itself sounds more like a Paul song than a John song.

No comments: