Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Rocktober Deep Cut P: "Smile" by Pearl Jam

Even though Pearl Jam's 1996 album No Code hit #1 on the Billboard album charts, it has been received with mixed reactions since it was released.  It was the band's first album not to go multi-platinum, and it didn't have the radio success that the previous albums had.  "Who You Are" was a Top 40 hit, but I don't think most people would put that on a list of the 25 or 30 most recognizable Pearl Jam songs.  Other than that, "Hail Hail," "Red Mosquito," and "Off He Goes" all made the Top 40 of the US Mainstream Rock charts, and seem to find their way into live albums and greatest hits albums.  Those are all great songs, but "Smile" is probably my favorite song off of No Code.  It's almost like grunge meets Tom Petty, with a crunchy guitar riff, well-placed harmonicas, and a great, wailing chorus.  When I hear it, it reminds me of college, which makes me -- wait for it -- smile.

No comments: