Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Rocktober 2014

Rocktober is upon us.  Rejoice!  I'm sure I don't need to tell you, since you are a living, breathing creature capable of elementary observation and emotion, but October is the greatest month of the year.  For several years, I reviewed a rock album every day in October, but that got too time-consuming with children, work, and my parkour club, so in 2012, I posted a rock video each day, and last year, I posted videos featuring live music. 

This year, I'm switching it up again.  Each weekday this month (that I'm in the office), I'll be posting and discussing a "deep cut" song by a different artist, meaning a song by a relatively famous artist that (1) you're not likely going to hear on the radio, (2) didn't chart on the Billboard Hot 100, and (3) isn't on an artist's greatest hits album and/or isn't considered a signature song by the artist.  For instance, I'm not going to play "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, even though you barely ever hear it on the radio and it didn't chart, because it's one of Metallica's signature songs.  These will be songs that a casual fan of the artist probably won't know.  The goal is to help people discover songs other than an artist's most famous songs.

Also, to keep myself on edge, I'm going to be doing this in alphabetical order by band name.  Yes, I realize I won't be getting past "W," based on the number of business days in October, but it'll still be a zesty exercise in musical agility.  I have no idea what that means.

As in Rocktobers past, there are no set genres I'm going to use, but the music must generally rock, whether it's metal, hard rock, classic rock, grunge, punk, garage rock, or any other genre or song that rocks. I'll try my damnedest not to overlap with anything I've posted in Rocktobers past, although that may be difficult given the breadth of previous years' posts.


Fridays will, as always, feature songs by hair bands because Friday without the Hair Band is like Road House without Dalton. As always, the week of Halloween will feature songs that have evil or dark themes. Rest assured, everything song featured will, in fact, rock.  Because I like to challenge myself, unlike the last two years, the Retro Video of the Week will be not suspended during Rocktober.

Get ready, people.

No comments: