Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Rocktober Deep Cut E: "So Much for the Afterglow" by Everclear

Unlike "B" and "D," the letter "E" presented me with a relative dearth of well-known rock bands.  I don't know enough about The Eagles' non-hits to give you a deep cut from them.  Plus I hate the fucking Eagles.  I can't name a non-popular song by Europe, Eve 6 isn't well-known enough, and there wasn't anything in the Extreme catalogue that struck my fancy.

Ultimately, I decided on Everclear, which I think was a pretty good rock band.  Between 1995 and 2000, they had three platinum albums, as well as six songs that charted on the Billboard Hot 100 or Hot 100 Airplay charts, including "Santa Monica" (#29, as well as #1 on the Mainstream Rock charts), "Everything to Everyone," "I Will Buy You a New Life," "Father of Mine," and "Wonderful."  Many of the songs centered around lead singer and songwriter Art Alexakis's terrible childhood (which featured his father leaving the family, being sexually abused by older neighborhood children, his brother dying of a heroin overdose when Art was 12, and his 15-year-old girlfriend committing suicide).


I decided to go with the song "So Much For the Afterglow," which is the first track to the band's most successful album, 1997's So Much for the Afterglow.  It starts out with a church-choir-meets-The-Beach-Boys a capella intro for about 40 seconds, and then rips into the rest of the song, which is a nice little fast-paced power pop/rock song that appears to be about a broken relationship with a woman named Susan.

No comments: