Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Rocktober Deep Cut F: "New Way Home" by Foo Fighters

In my opinion, Foo Fighters are the best hard rock band of the last twenty years, and certainly the most consistent.  They have never put out a bad album, and have generally rocked every step of the way.  My favorite Foo Fighters album is their second, 1997's The Colour and The Shape, which featured songs like "My Hero," "Everlong," and "Monkey Wrench," but it's the last song off that album, "New Way Home" that I present to you today as the Rocktober deep cut for the letter "F."

"New Way Home" ends a phenomenal album with a bang.  From the opening note, the song is a driving rocker.  It's an ode to Dave Grohl's hometown of Seattle, and specifically driving past the Kingdome and realizing everything is going to be okay.  My favorite part is about halfway through the song when everything gets very faint, and then slowly crescendos into a sonic onslaught as Grohl repeatedly belts out the chorus (" I felt like this on my way home / I'm not scared / I pass the boats and the Kingdome / I'm not scared") until the song finally fades out.  This has been on my running mix since I still had a Walkman.  Listen to it.  Love it.

No comments: