Thursday, December 25, 2014

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: Great Divide Hibernation and Ten Ninety Milk & Cookies

Great Divide Hibernation
Last night, I finished off the 12 Beers of Christmas at Rocks, while attempting to relive old glory on the trivia field.  One of the beers I had was the Great Divide Hibernation.  It's too hoppy for a Christmas ale, so I didn't take a picture.  That is all.

Name:  Hibernation Ale
Brewery:  Great Divide Brewing Company
Location:  Denver, Colorado
ABV:  8.7%
IBU:  N/A
Good for drinking if:  you want a hoppy winter beer to drink while you cruise to a second-place finish in bar trivia.
Rating:  3.5 stars (out of 5)

Ten Ninety Milk & Cookies
I was at Binny's today because, what else would I be doing at noon on Christmas Eve?  I came across the perfect beer to leave out for Santa Claus:  Ten Ninety's Milk & Cookies.  Ten Ninety is a relatively new brewery in the Chicago suburbs.  I've had a couple of their beers, and everything I've had has been good.  Milk & Cookies is a milk stout with ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and it says "for Santa" on the label.  Needless to say, I convinced my children that this is what we should leave out for Santa, along with actual cookies, as well as carrots for the reindeer.  Kids are idiots.  This beer, however, is delicious.  I was nervous at first smell, as it smelled a little hoppy, but my fears were allayed with my first sip.  It's pretty smooth, and it tastes like a gingerbread cookie mixed with a milk stout, which works well.  This isn't a beer that you would have a lot of, but it's perfect for consuming while wrapping presents and watching A Christmas Story and Bad Santa.

Name:  Milk & Cookies
Brewery:  Ten Ninety
Location:  Zion, Illinois
ABV:  N/A
IBU:  N/A
Good for drinking if:  you are Santa, or if you're just hanging out with Thurman Merman.
Rating:  4 stars (out of 5)

No comments: