Saturday, December 27, 2014

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: Batemans Rosey Nosey and Hoppin' Frog Frosted Frog

Batemans Rosey Nosey
Yesterday was Boxing Day.  After giving all my servants a Christmas box and allowing them to retire an hour early, I sat down on the Chesterfield in the parlor to enjoy 500 ml of ale.  Since I don't have any Canadian winter beers on hand, I went with an English one:  Batemans Rosey Nosey.  While billed as a holiday ale, it doesn't have any spices that you might expect from a winter beer.  However, it was excellent.  I would describe it as a really good English style ale -- a little sweet, a little bitter (but not hoppy), and easy to drink.  I'll have to have my errand boy pick me up another bottle tomorrow.

Name:  Rosey Nosey Holiday Ale
Brewery:  George Bateman & Son Ltd.
Location:  Wainfleet, United Kingdom
ABV:  4.7%
IBU:  N/A
Good for drinking if:  you are boxing.

Rating:  4.5 stars (out of 5)

Hoppin' Frog Frosted Frog
Tonight, I went with a more traditional Christmas ale:  Hoppin' Frog's Frosted Frog Christmas Ale.  At 8.6%, it packs a punch, but definitely doesn't taste that strong.  However, it does have a lot of flavor, with ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon jumping out of the glass.  See what I did there?  Jumping?  Frog?  All right, I'll stop.  But not before I say this:  I applaud Hoppin' Frog for putting the IBUs on the bottle.  I think I speak for everyone who hates hoppy beers when I say that this should be a requirement.  Carry on, Hoppin' Frog.

Name:  Frosted Frog Christmas Ale
Brewery:  Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Location:  Akron, Ohio
ABV:  8.6%
IBU:  12
Good for drinking if:  you need a good winter beer to drink when spending the holidays with relatives in Calaveras County.
Rating:  4 stars (out of 5)

No comments: