Thursday, December 18, 2014

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: Southern Tier 2xMas

Last night, I dined at legendary Chicago rib haven, Twin Anchors.  While I generally prefer smoked ribs to baked ribs, I do love me some Twin Anchors ribs.  They fall off the bone, and all of the restaurant's BBQ sauces are great.  But you didn't come here to talk about ribs.  Or maybe you did, in which case, I'm sorry to disappoint you.  Feel free to take me to Twin Anchors or Smoque to remedy this problem.

Anyway, Twin Anchors has a rotating Christmas brew selection on tap, and I don't if you know this about me, but I like winter beers.  On this particular night, the tap was Southern Tier's 2xMas, which is one of my favorite Christmas ales.  Inspired by Swedish glögg, 2xMas billed as a "doubled spiced ale," and that is an accurate description.  This beer smacks you in the face with holiday spices.  We're talking cinnamon, cloves, figs, orange peel, and cardamom.  I don't actually know what cardamom is, but I do know that it tastes good as part of this beer.  On top of the spice, like glögg, 2xMas is strong, clocking in at a solid 8% ABV, and it tastes heavy, which I like.  Sometimes you should know if you're about to time travel.  All in all, this is one of the better spiced winter beers out there, and I highly recommend it.

Name:  2xMas
Brewery:  Southern Tier Brewing Company
Location:  Lakewood, New York
ABV:  8%
IBU:  N/A
Good for drinking if:  you feel like having a julekake before eating a full slab of ribs, but you just don't have the time, energy, knowhow, proper utensils, oven, or desire to make a julekake.
Rating:  4.5 stars (out of 5)

No comments: