Tuesday, December 09, 2014

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: Ommegang Adoration


I generally like the beers put out by Ommegang.  Their beers are Belgian-inspired, and they do a good job.  If you like Belgian beers, I recommend their Three Philosophers Tripel or their limited edition, Game-of-Thrones-themed Valar Morghulis (which is a fantastic Belgian dubbel).  Plus, their logo has one of those fighting lions.  Can you imagine what you'd do if a lion stood on its hind legs and started to box?  I'd piss my pants.  Seriously.  I have nightmares about being in the same room as big cats that aren't caged. 

But I digress.  Billed as a "Dark Winter Ale," Adoration is a really strong Belgian-style ale.  It has a nice caramel color, and it tastes every bit of that 10% ABV.  Personally, I don't think it has the "winter" flavor that would distinguish it from your run-of-the-mill delicious ten-percent Belgian strong ale, as it does have any discernible spices.  That's not to say it isn't good.  It is a very good Belgian ale.

Name:  Adoration Dark Winter Ale
Brewery:  Brewery Ommegang
Location:  Cooperstown, New York
ABV:  10%
IBU:  N/A
Good for drinking if:  you're watching your outmatched alma mater put up a good fight in the Jimmy V Classic against a top-five opponent, even though their going to come up short and you can't spell "they're," but in the spirit of the night, I've run around looking for someone to hug.  I've laughed, I've thought, and I've cried.  That speech never gets old.  Watch it.  Donate.
Rating:  4 stars (out of 5)

No comments: