Thursday, October 15, 2015

Glorious Ladies of Rocktober Song #12: "I Hate Myself for Loving You" by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

This week's Hair Band Friday Glorious Ladies of Rocktober song comes from one of the rockingest ladies in rock and roll history:  Joan Jett.  While she is not technically a part of the hair band genre, I have always associated the song "I Hate Myself For Loving You" with the hair band genre, probably because it came out in 1988, rocked, and Jett had huge hair in the video.

Co-written by Jett and songwriting wunderkind Desmond Child, "I Hate Myself For Loving You" helped reestablish Jett as the queen of hard rock.  The song cracked the Top 10 of Billboard's Hot 100 (reaching #8) and helped propel the Blackhearts' album, Up Your Alley, into the Top 20 of the Billboard album charts (which their previous two albums had failed to do) and go platinum in the US.  Also, I just learned that former Rolling Stones' guitarist Mick Taylor played the guitar solo in the song, which is pretty cool.

If you are under 30, you probably recognize the song from its bastardized form as the theme song for NBC's Sunday Night Football.  Before Pink, Faith Hill, and Carrie Underwood had their hands on it, I assure you, it rocked.  But don't take my word for it, listen for yourself.

No comments: