Friday, October 23, 2015

Glorious Ladies of Rocktober Song #17: "Cheesecake" by Precious Metal

Precious Metal was a Sunset Strip-based, all-female hard rock band from the mid '80s, so, gender aside, if that doesn't qualify them as a hair band, I'm not sure what would.  Between 1985 and 1990, the band put out three albums before breaking up.  Despite being on major labels, none of the albums sold particularly well, and I will be honest, I had never heard of Precious Metal before reading that Rolling Stone article about the Top 50 Glam Metal Albums that I discussed this past Tuesday.  I decided to check them out on Spotify, and they're pretty good.  I would liken them to a combination of '70s glam, '80s glam, power pop, Joan Jett, and The Go-Gos -- which I think is a pretty solid combination.

I decided to go with "Cheesecake," off of the band's 1985 debut album basically because there are very few Precious Metal songs on YouTube.  It's a randy little ditty, with a Bo Diddley feel to it, both with the beat and the kind of half-spoken-half-sung lyrics.  Plus, I love cheesecake.

No comments: