Thursday, October 08, 2015

Glorious Ladies of Rocktober Song #6: "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar

Pat Benatar is one of the most successful female rockers of all-time.  Between 1979 and 1984, she put out six albums that broke into the Top 15 of the Billboard album charts (including one that hit #1 –- 1981's Precious Time).  She had 15 Top 40 hits in the U.S. between 1979 and 1986, including four that made the Top 10.  In my opinion, she deserves a spot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but my guess is that it will be another couple years before she starts to gain any traction.

The song I'm going with is "Heartbreaker," Benatar's first Top 40 single (#23 in 1979).  Even though it's a cover song –- not that you've probably heard the original, which was sung by English singer Jenny Darren –- I think it's the quintessential Benatar song because it both announced her arrival and showed that she was going to be a force to be reckoned with.  I've always loved the riff, and the song itself is both a little naughty and empowering.  On one hand, she's saying "you're the right kind of sinner to release my inner fantasy," but on the other hand, she's saying "don't you mess around with me."  Damn women and their mixed signals.

No comments: