Friday, October 30, 2015

Glorious Ladies of Rocktober Song #22: "Kiss Me Deadly" by Lita Ford

Well folks, it is with a heavy, black heart that I must inform you that Rocktober once again coming to an end.  It seems to happen every year around this time.  The last selection is one of my favorite '80s songs and possibly my favorite female-sung song:  "Kiss Me Deadly" by Lita Ford.  Lita, of course, got her big break as a member of The Runaways in the '70s, and she followed that success with decent success in the '80s, mainly attributed to her 1988 album Lita, which got up to #29 on the Billboard album charts and has been certified platinum by the RIAA.  Her duet with Ozzy Osbourne, "Close My Eyes Forever," rose to #8 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it both her most successful single ever and Ozzy's most successful, as well.  "Kiss Me Deadly" didn't do so bad either, peaking at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100.

It was "Kiss Me Deadly" that made my 11-year-old self fall in love with Lita Ford.  It's catchy and it rocks, which could describe most of the hair band genre.  And that opening line is just phenomenal:  "I went to a party last Saturday night / I didn't get laid / I got in a fight / Uh huh, it ain't no big thing."  And if you think Lita Ford is just some pretty face (who gets in fights instead of having sex), you're selling her very short.  She can also play a pretty wicked guitar.  In an interview I saw with her, she recounted a story about someone asking her who played the solo on "Kiss Me Deadly," as this person assumed it was a man.  Lita, rightfully incensed, explained (presumably in flowery language) that she played the solo (which is pretty damn good, too).

And with that, Rocktober is done until next year.  But stay tuned next week, as we begin Nemovember –- a daily look at my favorite clownfish, starting on Monday with, well, Nemo.

Lita Ford - Kiss Me Deadly by soulsurvivor25

No comments: