Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Eavesdropping in Chicago

An encounter on the L this morning caused me to think that Chicago needs to have an equivalent of Overheard in New York. At the Chicago stop on the southbound Brown line, a young, in-love couple got on the crowded train. I had a seat, but there weren't any other seats, so they ended up standing next to me.

On an otherwise happily silent train, they spark up a conversation loud enough for almost everyone to hear. The girl innocently asks, "Do you think we should make kebobs?" The guy responds, "Oh, you're my little kebob." Then the guy kissed the girl and she said, "I'm talking about for dinner tonight." Then he leaned in and whispered something dirty in her ear (probably about cutting her into pieces and putting all of the pieces, along with onions and green and red peppers, on a giant skewer that would then be charred over an open flame). Then they kept playing what can only be described as "kissy face." It wasn't what anyone wanted to deal with at 8 in the morning. PDA is bullshit.

PDA aside, we here at GMYH think that random people saying random things is funny. Therefore, we're starting Eavesdropping in Chicago, a once-a-week post of the random things that GMYH readers here in Chicago overhear in our fair city. I would call it Overheard in Chicago, but I don't want to get the shit sued out of me by the Overheard in New York people. Plus, it probably won't be nearly as good, so I wouldn't want to tarnish the "Overheard in" name.

This is where you come in. Whenever you overhear strangers say something completely hilarious, stupid, random, etc., email me at gmyhblog@yahoo.com with the following information:
-what you heard
-where you heard it
-a description of who was saying it
-your eavesdropping handle (i.e., I am GMYH), if you so wish (you can remain anonymous if you want, but such glory should not go unclaimed)

For instance, my encounter this morning would be:
Small Asian girlfriend: Do you think we should make kebobs?
White hipster boyfriend: Oh, you're my little kebob.
Small Asian girlfriend: I'm talking about for dinner tonight.
--crowded morning Brown line train

Eavesdropper: GMYH

This should be a good time for all, but it won't work without your meddling ears, so get out there and start eavesdropping. Again, send it to gmyhblog@yahoo.com. Don't be shy.

In other random news, my cooing (yes, cooing) ability is so remarkable that my lovely wife Jesterio commented that she thought there "might be a pigeon roosting in our kitchen."

In yet other random news, belated birthday wishes go out to loyal GMYH readers Beth-O-Rama, Tron, and Gemkeezi.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

somewhat puzzling: type "overheardinchicago.com" into your address bar.

GMYH said...

Typical East Coast bias. That's why Eavesdropping in Chicago must be started.

Anonymous said...

So I'm not allowed to submit anything funny I hear if it doesn't take place in your precious city? Pretty regionalistic, don't you think. Ass.

Anonymous said...

Damn, didn't read the next post. Touche Mr. Christoff!