Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Move and Such

Well, the move went somewhat swimmingly, with only a few casualties. It all started Friday, when I got a call from the guys we hired to load the 24-foot Budget truck that I was to drive. They were running ahead of schedule, and wanted to know if it was alright for them to come early. Having never encountered a situation like this before, I agreed.

It turns out professional movers are awesome. Had some been available in Chicago on two-weeks notice, I would have hired them. They took about 2 hours to get everything into the truck.

Jester drove the car, and I drove the big rig. Holt "Why Did I Agree to This?" Hedrick drove with me, as he was visiting some peeps in Chicago. It topped out at 71 mph, so at least I didn't have to worry about getting a ticket.

Saturday morning, we got to the new place around 9. The list of people who came out to help us move read like a who's who of people I owe dinner: Ari, Christoff, Tradd, Kyla, Alex, Klint, Bohmann, the Floppy Burrito, Reed, and Sarah.

With a small army, we were able to get 95% of it done in about 2 hours. Sarah won the award for best mover, while Ryan and Tradd found new ways to be lazy.

We didn't even attempt to get our entertainment center in, and it turns out that no stairway in our building was made to fit a queen box spring, so that didn't make it. We also had to unhinge several doors in order to get the two pieces of our couch inside. But all in all, it wasn't too bad of a move.

Saturday night, much to Jessie's chagrin, I went to Chris "Gemkeezi" Gemkow's bachelor party. I will say nothing about it, except that I took this awesome picture of a guy pissing on an L platform.

No comments: