Wednesday, June 11, 2008

GMYH All-Decade Songs - 1950s

Apparently being a lawyer affords me way too much free time because why the fuck else would I be compiling a list of my favorite songs from the rock 'n' roll era (1954-present). I'll tell you why. Because it's my third anniversary and some chick was handing out Pop Rocks outside my L station this morning. Pop Rocks! Don't worry, I didn't drink any pop while eating them, so as to avoid the inevitable stomach explosion.

So, I can tell that you give a shit about what songs I like, which is why I will be revealing the GMYH All-Decade Songs. Each decade, from the delightfully droll 1950s to the hilariously unpredictable 2000s, will get its own first, second, and third all-decade teams -- five songs on each -- as well as some honorable mentions for the rest because there are just too many damn songs I like. The songs are in no way related to anything but my own tastes and, therefore, to the extent that you disagree with them, it's really okay because you are also entitled to your own opinions as far as I can tell. These are just the songs from every decade that I like best. You know, it's just, like, my opinion, man.

We'll start out with the 1950s. McCarthyism, teenagers with disposable income, Belgians in the Congo. You, know, the '50s. Since I don't really favor any particular songs over others in each group, I'll just go alphabetically by artist. Deal with it. I'll try to put up some mix tapes with all of the songs, but Mixwit most likely won't have everything.

First Team
Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry
The Night Time is the Right Time by Ray Charles
There Goes My Baby by The Drifters
Earth Angel by The Penguins
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You by Elvis Presley

Second Team
For Your Precious Love by Jerry Butler
Maybe by The Chantels
Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis
Why Do Fools Fall In Love by Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
Donna by Ritchie Valens

Third Team
Poison Ivy by The Coasters
I Wonder Why by Dion and The Belmonts
In the Still of the Night by The Five Satins
Jailhouse Rock by Elvis Presley
Since I Don't Have You by The Skyliners

Honorable Mention
Chantilly Lace by The Big Bopper
Wake Up Little Susie by The Everly Brothers
Ain't That a Shame by Fats Domino
Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley & His Comets
Not Fade Away by Buddy Holly
Long Tall Sally by Little Richard
Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley
Sleepwalk by Santo & Johnny

No comments: