Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shit I Hate: Bosses being your friend on Facebook

We all know there is some shit I hate: Purdue, The City of Chicago Department of Revenue, Alaskan women, the Noid, Bud Selig, Danish people. Well, there is a lot of other shit I hate, too. Ergo, I am starting a new segment here on GMYH called "Shit I Hate." Every once in a while (or maybe more often), when I come across something I hate, I will let you know about it.

For instance, one thing I hate is when your boss shoots you a friend request on Facebook. Is it not enough that I have to spend ten hours a day with you or that you forced me to get a Blackberry so that I can be an email away for the other godless fourteen hours of my day? You are my boss, not my friend, but I obviously can't deny the request. Don't put me in this position. Now I'll have to quit the groups "Fans of Tig Ol' Bitties and GHB," "Dudes Who Knit . . . And Fuck Werewolves with Footballs," and "People Who Take the Law Into Their Own Hands and Hate That Their Bosses Are On Facebook." Worse yet, now I have to make sure every picture I upload to Facebook is set specifically to exclude you from viewing it, as I have no intention of allowing you to see every picture of me chugging a bottle of Jameson (for some reason, there are close to twenty such pictures), stealing staplers and payroll checks from work, or exposing myself to a congregation of water fowl.

11 comments:

Jalehlabad said...

Ditto. Also, those people from high school who you haven't spoken to since high school and have nothing in common with since they are fucking right wing Republican Christian breeders. I hate it when those people friend you. You are not my friend, people. Or maybe that's just me.

Anonymous said...

just add them to your limited profile list. then they cant see shit.

better yet, update your search settings to not even be findable in a search. all this may sound like a pain in the ass, but it makes you like a cloak wearing a dagger.

Anonymous said...

be careful not to let them see your "website" info.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips, Mark. I will definitely have to do that. Freddie, I wouldn't dare put a link to this (or any other personal contact info) on my Facebook site -- just pictures of myself in hilariously elicit situations.

Anonymous said...

Dude. DUH. Only give him access to your limited profile, then he can only see what you want him to see.

lynnie said...

i agree...one of the attorneys here added me and i had to set all of my options to exclude him....if you ignore, he'll corner you at work and ask you why you didn't add him...it is a no-win SHIT-uation

Anonymous said...

SHIT-uation. Andrew- I believe that qualifies for entry into the AbbreviNation Dictionary, or AbbreviNationAry.

Anonymous said...

Shit

Beth said...

Bosses, yes, but really any co-workers you would never associate with outside of work, as well as distant relatives who you barely know but you know shit will get through the family grapevine SOMEhow if they have access to anything they find particularly shocking.

Jal, I don't mind those HS students who are right-wing--if they want to see what I'm up to now, they can be shocked by all my drunken pics and Obama support, I don't frakking care. In fact, it gives me some joy to think they wouldn't approve. :)

Anonymous said...

while i'm generally hip to hilariously illicit situations, i am dying to know what a hilariously elicit one would be. a ticklefest torture?

Anonymous said...

Fucking homonyms.