Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Tuesday Top Ten: Voices in Rock & Roll History

This week's Tuesday Top Ten counts down what I believe to be the ten best voices in rock and roll history. As you can imagine, it was somewhat difficult, and there may be some surprises. To appease myself, I have made a Mixwit mix with an example from everyone on the list.

10 (tie). Bobby Hatfield and Bill Medley. As The Righteous Brothers, Hatfield provided the soaring top to Bill Medley's foggy bottom. At first I just had Hatfield on the list, but then I listened to a few more songs, and I decided that I couldn't have one on the list without the other. If there is any doubt as to whether Hatfield should be on this list, listen to "Unchained Melody," particularly the last minute or so when he breaks into "I-I-I-I ne-EEEEE-EEED you're lo-ooove." Medley's no slouch either, with the kind of soulful baritone that makes panties drop and Mann & Weil songs come alive. Example: "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration," which I think showcases both Hatfield and Medley's talents.
9. Justin Hawkins. Yes, the former lead singer of The Darkness. Yes, the man who broke my heart by quitting The Darkness. Yes, the best falsetto I've ever heard. Simply put, the man has some pipes. Example: "I Believe in a Thing Called Love."
8. John Fogerty. Even though he was from California, his voice sounded like it came from a southern swamp: soulful, a little hoarse, and otherworldly. Example: "Long As I Can See the Light."
7. Marvin Gaye. From Motown superstar to his duets with Tammi Terrell to "Sexual Healing," Marvin Gaye's voice was silky smooth. Example: "Let's Get It On."
6. Ronnie Spector. Ronnie Spector (nee Bennett) was the namesake for '60s girl group The Ronettes. There's something about her voice that cuts through you. "Be My Baby" is one of my all-time favorite songs, and their version of "Sleigh Ride" is one of my favorite Christmas songs. Nonetheless, I am including "Baby, I Love You" as the example because it's an often-overlooked masterpiece. Just listen to that wall of sound.
5. Freddy Mercury. His combination of operatic power and range hasn't been matched since. Example: "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions."
4. Jim Morrison. The Lizard King could master the creepy, deeper sounds of something like "Riders on the Storm" or "The Crystal Ship" and the controlled, primal screeching of "Five to One" or the latter half of "When the Music's Over." He channeled Elvis, Little Richard, and Muddy Waters all at once. Example: "Back Door Man."
3. Otis Redding. When I think of the world "soul" as it relates to music, Otis Redding's voice is the first thing that comes to mind. Example: "These Arms of Mine."
2. Sam Cooke. He started off as a gospel singer with the Soul Stirrers and, thankfully for the rest of us, moved over to secular music. Smooth as silk and oddly reassuring, Sam Cooke's voice is hard to top. He was The Man in the early '60s, with bevy of hits, such as "You Send Me," "Chain Gang," "Cupid," "Wonderful World," "Another Saturday Night," and "Twistin' the Night Away," to name a few. I would be perjuring myself if I ever told someone under oath that "Bring It On Home to Me" is not one of my top five favorite songs ever. Nonetheless, I think "A Change Is Gonna Come" shows off Cooke's vocal stylings as good as anything else, so that's the example.
1. Janis Joplin. For me, it was a tough call between Sam Cooke and Janis for #1, since I'm such a big Sam Cooke fan. But in the end, how can you not go with Janis? The ungodly power, the gravely drawl, the soul. It's all there in one inimitable package. No one before or since could belt out a song like her. Of course we're all familiar with her version of "Me & Bobby McGee," as well as "Piece of My Heart" and "Mercedes Benz," which are all classics, but it's those bluesy songs like "Cry Baby," her fantastic cover of Big Mama Thornton's "Ball & Chain," and "Get It While You Can" that put her over the top. I hesitate to say that we will never hear another voice like hers, because I'm hoping we do, but it's been almost 38 years since we have. Example: "Cry Baby."

Apparently having an awesome voice means that you have to die before your time. Aside from Wesley Willis, who do you think I should have included?


MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes to John Fogerty. No Steve Perry from Journey?

Anonymous said...

Were any of these gentlemen community organizers?

Anonymous said...

I think the better question is, were either of the ladies on the list supporters of the Alaska Independence Party?

Also, I'd put Eddie Vedder on the list, although I'm not sure who I'd take off to make room.

Anonymous said...

Where are Angus Young, Grace Slick, Aretha Franklin, Donny Hathaway, David Bowie, Robert Plant, or David Byrne?

Anonymous said...

Angus Young is not on the list because I've never heard him sing. Do you mean either Bon Scott or Brian Johnson? I thought about them, as well as Plant, Aretha, and Grace Slick (and many others), but in the end decided to leave them off because I felt that those on the list had better voices. I didn't think about Hathaway, but, while he had a great voice, I personally wouldn't put it above anoyone on the list. As I said, it was a tough task narrowing it to ten. As for Bowie and Byrne, I think they are great musicians, but I don't consider their voices to be extraordinary.

Anonymous said...

While its tough to argue with any of the inclusions, the most glaring omission is Jeff Buckley, he of the 4 octave vocal range (and death by drowning before he was 30...nice symmetry). Try Last Goodbye, Hallelujah, or Lover Come Over. Jimmy Page deemed him the finest voice in 20 years and John Legend called him "one of the greatest singers I've ever heard. You feel he had no limitations on his voice."

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with anonymous #2 regarding Eddie Vedder. I can't understand a word he says most of the time, but dammit, that man can sing.

Anonymous said...

No Kid Rock? You have to be fucking kidding me. He has such a range - country to some hardcore gangsta shit. He definetly rocks out!

Anonymous said...

Have you considered renaming this blog as "Give me a handjob." That might be a good idea because both handjobs and this blog are both disappointing.

Anonymous said...

If only my name was Andjob, that would be perfect.

If you don't like it, then why do you continue to read it?

Anonymous said...

It is like watching a train wreck, or Lexington Steele plowing into a hot blonde college chick. You don't want to watch, but you can't stop yourself.

Anonymous said...

What about Tina Turner?

Anonymous said...

I was late to this entry, but after reading it I was sorely disappointed. No Seger? Seriously? Bob Seger's voice is pure sex. Women within 100 miles of a Seger concert get pregnant. Hell, some men even do, too. This compilation explains everything: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1108146/a/Greatest+Hits.htm
If that doesn't change your mind, then all hope is lost for you, my friend.