Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday Top Ten: Fall Shows I'm Most Excited About

Ahh, as the nip of late summer and early fall hits this fair Midwestern burg, a buzz is in the air and people walk with a spring in their step knowing that television's summer-long hiatus is coming to a welcome end and a new season of laughter and murder will be starting. This is always a great time of the year to be alive. Boo to people who die between May and August! Anywho, taking my inspiration from Beth, below are the ten shows I'm most excited about this fall. You'll notice that most of them are sitcoms. Since I have little joy in my own life, situation comedies provide a respite and a much-needed escape from reality, even if only for a half hour at a time.

I'm excited about these shows, so by the simple fact that you are reading this sentence, you should be excited too. Here they are, with season premier date, time, and channel:

10. 90210 (already started; Tues. 7 CST, CW). Something needs to fill my Southern California-based teen drama void. Damn you, McG.
9. My Name Is Earl (Th. 9/25, 7 CST, NBC). Earl is back to the list, so that's good. No more of this coma bullshit.
8. Dexter (Sun. 9/28, 8 CST, Showtime). I'm fascinated by serial killers, real or fake. I only wish he would break into Buffalo Bill now and then. "She puts the lotion on her skin or else she gets the hose again."
7. Kath & Kim (Th. 10/9, 7:30 CST, NBC). Will America ruin or enhance another quirky foreign sitcom? Hopefully it will be more Office than Coupling, as far as success.
6. True Blood (already started; Sun. 8 CST, HBO). I haven't had a chance to watch the first episode yet, but, from what I can tell, moving pictures revolving around vampires living in Louisiana tend to work. I just hope Kirsten Dunst doesn't make any cameos.
5. The Office (Th. 9/25, 8 CST, NBC). Will Jim propose to Pam now that Andy proposed to Angela? Will Dwight slap Andy upside the head with twelve inches of limp dick for proposing to Angela?
4. How I Met Your Mother (Mon. 9/22, 7:30 CST, CBS). I started watching this last year, and have since seen most of the show's episodes. Will Barney admit his love for Robin? I sure hope not, as that would put a damper on his hilarious womanizing. Will Ted meet his kids' mother? I sure hope not, as that would seemingly indicate the end of the show. Will Marshall and Lily continue their lives? I sure hope so, as they are a young, urban, professional couple to which I can relate.
3. Flight of the Conchords (January 2009, HBO). Yes, I know it's not technically a fall premier, but January is fall in New Zealand, right? Or at least kind of close to it? Anyway, it's been over a year since the first season, and I'm feeling the need for more songs and bone dry humor (or, technically, humour).
2. 30 Rock (Th. 10/30, 8:30 CST, NBC). Will Jack be banished to the 12th floor? If so, what crazy antics will ensue? Will people please tune in?
1. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Th. 9/18, 9 CST, F/X). I thought last season was hysterical (as were the first three). I'm assuming the gang will get into even more hilariously dark situations that will help me continue to question my morality. Day Man, aaa-AAA-aaaaahhh, fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the sun.

6 comments:

Jason said...

I hope the omission of Friday Night Lights was accidental.

Anonymous said...

Dude. Gossip Girl blows 90210 out of the water.

Anonymous said...

Bird,
It was anything but accidental. I lived in Texas for nearly 8 years. I know how high school football can tear a town apart, and I don't need to relive that. Needless to say, I grew up a lot in those 8 years. In all seriousness, I haven't seen FNL, it comes highly recommened from several friends, and I just keep forgetting to watch it.

Holt or Katie,
Chill out. I recently saw my first episode of Gossip Girl, and liked what I saw (as it is The OC East). That Chuck Bass can sure purse his lips.

Anonymous said...

a little hankering for high school, have we?

Beth said...

All of those shows are on my list, except Dexter, and that's only b/c I don't have Showtime (I WILL however be watching Dexter Season 2 on dvd soon).

Oh yeah, and 90210--the re-vamp is a pale imitation of The OC. As a true OC fan, I'm surprised you can tolerate it.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you don't watch more Bravo channel shows.