Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday Top Ten: Favorite Weird Al Songs

Today Greg Weeser* sent me a link to a trailer for a Weird Al biopic starring Mary Steenburgen, Gary Cole, Olivia Wilde, Paul Scheer, and Patton Oswalt. It looks pretty f'n awesome. Unfortunately, it's not real. Funny or Die, you strike again. Watch the trailer. It's hilarious.

If nothing else, it reminded me that Weird Al is awesome. He is undoubtedly the king of musical parodists. What I love about Weird Al is not just how clever and spot-on his songs are, but that he spans just about every genre, all with the backing of an accordion. I remember laughing out loud listening to his first album. And who doesn't think of UHF when they meet someone named Weaver, think of something blue, or make a poodle fly?

Anyway, here are my ten favorite Weird Al songs, in no particular order (followed by the song he parodied):

10 (tie). "My Bologna" ("My Sharona" by The Knack)
I just think it's funny that he pronounces it "balona" and not "baloney."

10 (tie). "Fat" ("Bad" by Michael Jackson)
In sixth grade, Eric B. and I dressed up as a fat couple and performed this in the talent show. I pray that all video of that has been destroyed.

9. "Eat It" ("Beat It" by Michael Jackson)
A classic.

8. "Like a Surgeon" ("Like a Virgin" by Madonna)
Another classic. Sadly, it's not on playlist.com.

7. "Amish Paradise" ("Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio)
This combines the two things I love most in the world: making fun of the Amish and Coolio.

6. "Another One Rides the Bus" ("Another Bites the Dust" by Queen)
This one has a strange hand fart solo in the middle of it. And that is NOT a bad thing.

5. "I Love Rocky Road" ("I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett)
This song is kind of a personal anthem. This also has hand fart noises.

4. "Smells Like Nirvana" ("Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana)
I can't listen to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" without thinking "It's hard to bargle nawdle zouss/With all these marbles in my mouth."

3. "Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies" ("Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits)
This was featured in UHF, and actually features Mark Knopfler on guitar. Unfortunately, it's not on Playlist.com.

2. "Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung"
This isn't a parody, but it is a funny song about trying to converse with a man in an iron lung. And a good day to you sir.

1. "Yoda" ("Lola" by The Kinks)
"I met him in swamp down in Degobah." That's just good parodying right there.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

1 comment:

gregerson said...

Fantastic idea for a Top Ten, but I would have to include "White and Nerdy" because it shows Al's mad rap skillz.