Sunday, October 03, 2010

New Book: When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man by Jerry Weintraub with Rich Cohen

I recently finished reading Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI by Robert Ressler and Tom Shachtman, and it was fascinating. Ressler is the man who coined the term "serial killer," and he worked for many years as a criminal profiler for the FBI. As part of his criminal profiling work, he interviewed many serial killers. One of the more interesting things I found out that I had not previously known about serial killers is that they can generally be broken down into two types -- organized and disorganized. It's also amazing how killing is tied to sex and sexual fantasies for most (if not all) serial killers. Fascinating and terrifying stuff, especially if you have any interest in criminal profiling or serial killers (both of which are extremely interesting to me).

I've now started When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man by Jerry Weintraub with Rich Cohen, which is Weintraub's memoir (if you can't tell, I like memoirs). For those who don't know, Weintraub is successful film producer (Karate Kid and the Ocean's 11 series, among others), who also used to be a music promoter and manager (Elvis, Four Seasons, Zeppelin, among others). So far so good.

Books read in 2010:
Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman
Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Happy Hour is for Amateurs by The Philadelphia Lawyer
Dry by Augusten Burroughs
Open by Andre Agassi
Too Fat to Fish by Artie Lange
Graceland by Chris Abani
When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI by Robert Ressler and Tom Shachtman

No comments: