Monday, October 18, 2010

New Book - You Shall Know Our Velocity! By Dave Eggers

I finished When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man by Jerry Weintraub with Rich Cohen. It was interesting. I didn't know who Weintraub was before Australian Andrew recommended the book to me and let me borrow his copy. It's your standard memoir about a kid from the Bronx who joins the Air Force, then gets into talent management, then promotes concerts for some of the biggest acts in the word, then produces blockbuster films. I kind of felt like it was a "hey, look at what I've done" kind of book, but then again, I guess that's what most memoirs are. That's not to knock anything that Weintraub has done. He has led an amazing life, has done things that most people will never get to do, and is (or was) friends with so many random important people. It kind of makes you sick when you look at what little you've done with your own life.

I have now started You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers, which was his first novel. I really enjoyed his memoir, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, and thus far I am enjoying You Shall Know Our Velocity!, which is about two friends who attempt to travel around the world in one week and spend $32,000 for some reason. I've been there.

Books read in 2010:
Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman
Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Happy Hour is for Amateurs by The Philadelphia Lawyer
Dry by Augusten Burroughs
Open by Andre Agassi
Too Fat to Fish by Artie Lange
Graceland by Chris Abani
When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI by Robert Ressler and Tom Shachtman
When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man by Jerry Weintraub with Rich Cohen

No comments: