Wednesday, October 05, 2011

New Book: Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs


Last week, I finished reading Snow Blind: A Brief Career in the Cocaine Trade by Robert Sabbag, and it was very good.  I expected it to be more of a straightforward historical account, but the narrative was almost Hunter S. Thompson-esque.  It detailed the life of Zachary Swan, a 40-something New Yorker in the late '60s and early '70s who became a big-time cocaine smuggler for a few years before getting arrested and then, more or less, beating the charges.  The parts that I liked best were his intricate and well-planned ways to get cocaine from Colombia to the U.S.  It was really amazing the level of detail and forethought that went into the plans.  Without revealing too much, I will just say that I will never look at a wooden rolling pin without assuming it is full of firmly packed cocaine.
 
I have moved on to Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs.  A couple years ago, I read his memoir Dry, which was an account of his alcoholism and rehab.  This book is a collection of autobiographical essays, and so far it's good and funny.



Snow Blind: A Brief Career in the Cocaine Trade by Robert Sabbag

No comments: