Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: List Sent to Me by Random Website-Related People in the Last Month


As you may have noticed, people associated with random websites –- usually containing the words "best," "colleges," and/or "online" in them -- send me emails now and then with links to a list on their respective websites.  The email usually goes something like this:
Hi,We at thebestcollegesofalltimethatareonline.org recently came across your blog, and we think you or your readers would be interested in our article, "10 Hilarious Serial Killer Blunders," which we posted on our website at http://www.thebestcollegesofalltimethatareonline.org/blog/10-hilarious-serial-killer-blunders.  Given the overlap with the subject matter of your blog, we thought you might be interested in sharing the link with your readers. It has been a sincere pleasure reading your blog.  Keep up the great work! Sincerely,John Coctostan
Over the last month, I've received a deluge of these types of emails.  Only a handful have really overlapped with the subject matter of this here abortion I call a blog, such as ones about March Madness or St. Patrick's Day.  Others, however, do not appear to have much to do with anything I have ever posted.  Thus, I feel like some of these people might not actually read GMYH.  And that hurts.

With that in mind, here are the top ten articles I have received in the last month (that I haven't already posted), in order from least relevant to most relevant.

10 (tie).  "Top 50 Google+ Circles for Cutting-Edge Educators" from OnlineCollege.org.  This was sent to me because of "overlap in subject matter with your blog," since it is clearly about hair bands, college basketball, retro videos, eavesdropping in the Midwest, ripping on Purdue, dressing up as Ace Frehley and/or Maverick, boozing, and stone cold pimpin'.

10 (tie).  "10 Oft-Overlooked Irish Novels to Honor This Month" by AccreditedOnlineColleges.com.  On a related note, I overlook all Irish novels that honor March.  [NOTE:  I removed the link at the request of AccreditedOnlineColleges.com]

9.  "16 Essential Blogs for Parents Planning for College" from BestCollegesOnline.com.  This makes sense, since I'm always blogging about tips for saving for your children's college education.  Thankfully, mine are going to get full rides, so I don't need to save shit.

8.  "25 Gmail Tips That Make You Look More Professional" from OnlineCollege.org.  Apparently, the fact that they emailed this article to a Yahoo address didn't clue them into the fact that I don't use Gmail.

7.  "7 Apps to Gamify Your Life" from OnlineCertificatePrograms.org.  In case your life isn't gamified enough.

6.  "10 Common Illegal Alterations Made to Cars" from CriminalJusticeDegreeGuide.com.  Oddly enough, smoke screen and oil slick are not on the list.  Then again, there is nothing common about The Blaab.

5.  "20 Cases Solved By Using Facebook" from CriminalJusticeDegreeGuide.com.  Once again proving that the more you're on social media, the better it is for society.

4.  "15 Books That Should Be on Every Grammar Geek's Bookshelf" from OnlineColleges.Net.  Presumably this was sent to be because of my clear command of the English language.  The Chicago Manual of Style is on there, which I support.  After all, I am not one of those assholes who puts only an apostrophe to indicate a possessive of something ending in an "s."  It's Chris's toy, not Chris' toy, unless it is owned by several people named Chri.

3.  "College Mascot Showdown" from BestCollegesOnline.com.  This was sent exactly one week after my post that contained links to college mascot-related articles that other people from theses types of websites sent me.

2.  "8 Athletes Who Retired in Their Prime" from TopOnlineColleges.com.  Not on the list?  Me, despite the fact that I retired from sports at the age of 18, in my athletic prime.

1.  "The 10 Worst Love Scenes in Cinematic History" from BestOnlineColleges.com.  Some of these should actually be included in the ten best love scenes in cinematic history.  I mean, Lea Thompson riding a duck?  It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: