Thursday, March 23, 2006

Mispronounced Words

Maybe I'm anal when it comes to word pronunciation, but there are few things that chap my ass more than when someone who is allegedly highly educated consistently mispronounces a commonly used word. It's cute and all when you're 4 and you say "pisketti" instead of "spaghetti." But it's a whole different story when you're 40. There's a lawyer in my office who consistently puts a "t" in the middle of the word "else," thus pronouncing it "eltse." It takes every ounce of restraint I have to not yell, "There's no fucking 't' in the word 'else,'" and then smack him in the teeth with Webster's (unabridged, just in case).

In addition to "eltse," here are some of my most hated mispronunciations:

  1. "Supposably" - Nothing quite turns an otherwise respectable person into a complete sped like when they say "supposably" instead of "supposedly." It's almost as funny as Sister Act 2. Almost.
  2. "Pacific" - Most 3rd graders can tell you that Pacific refers to one of the world's five oceans. It is not a synonym for "particular."
  3. "Liberry" - It's actually called a library, which is a building that houses plenty of books on how to pronounce words correctly. It's not some sort of berry made of lies.
  4. "Pitcher" - As many of you know, a pitcher is someone on a baseball team or something you use to store and pour liquids. As some of you may not know, a pitcher is not something you hang on your wall or something you take with a camera.
  5. "Acrossed" - Despite what Lyons Township High School football coach "Captain Jack" Derning may think, there is no such word. Wide receiver Bobby Moore didn't run acrossed the field to score a touchdown when you were supposed to be guarding him in the 1971 East-West Shrine game, thus ruining any hopes at a pro football career. Ahmad Rashad ran across the field to score a touchdown, exposing a slow, white linebacker from Northwestern with bad knees. Similarly, you don't go acrossed the street to get your GED. You go across the street to get your college degree.
  6. "Illinoiz" - For those of you from New Jersey or the undereducated South, there is only one state of Illinois (not several, as your pronunciation would imply). The "s" at the end of the word is silent. What this means is that the correct pronunciation is "Illinoy." The only time that the "Illinoy" sound should be followed with an "s" sound is when you are (1) referring to the plural of Illinois (i.e., "I wish there were more states like that. We could really use more Illinoises"), or (2) referring to the possessive of Illinois (i.e., "The University of Illinois's lack of NCAA basketball championship banners is surprising, given the fact that their fanbase seems to think that they are the greatest basketball program in the history of the world.")
  7. "Warsh" or "Warshington" - I've never understood when or why an "r" was placed in the middle of the word "wash." And George Washington has to roll in his grave everytime someone screws up his name. He was only our first president. And it's only the name of our capital. Frankly, I blame America's teachers. Speaking of which...
  8. "Faltse" - My 8th grade science teacher (who I'm positive molested children and all manner of domesticated animal, fish included) always put a "t" in the middle of the word "false." Unfortunately we never had a test question that read "True or False: The correct pronunciation of 'false' is 'faltz'." Fucking Niccum. When he gets to hell, I hope Satan (1) makes him a eunuch and (2) whenever he says "faltse," he gets strapped to a chair full of upward-facing rusty tacks, his eyelids are held open and some sort of imp squirts lemon juice into his eyes while he is forced to watch Hitler, Stalin, Slobodan Milošević, and Jesse Helms (he'll be dead by June) perform a lengthy, all-nude rendition of Cats. None of them are very good singers or dancers.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

supposably also sometimes manifests itself as 'supposively'--both of which are mispronunciations of 'supposedly'

for fun, check out unwords.com

GMYH said...

Touché, anonymous. Touché.

the shrewness said...

people from new jersey mispronounce the word illinois?? :P

my biggest pet peeve is when people say aks instead of ask... how could you even mispronounce a 3 letter word??

GMYH said...

Not all people from New Jersey. Actually, the only person I heard from New Jersey say "Illinoiz" was Jay in Dogma. But I assume he speaks for the entire state.

Anonymous said...

My family members from Iowa all add the letter "r" to the word wash. I think it has something to do with the high mercury content in Iowa's water supply.

Beth said...

Don't forget that old chesnut "punkin" instead of "pumpkin"...I had a sorority sister who mispronounced 95% of the words you mentioned, but "punkin" was the one that drove me the craziest. "Hey, guys, let's go down to the kitchen and carve punkins for the front walk!" It still rings in my ears every Halloween.

Anonymous said...

It's called dialect jackass. Fucking kikes always running their mouth.

GMYH said...

Dear Anonymous Anti-Semite,
I don't know what a "dialect jackass" is, but before you chime in on diction, maybe you should learn how and when to use a comma, jackass.

Also, dialect has nothing to do with whether a word is mispronounced. When someone says "supposably" instead of "supposedly" or "liberry" instead of "library" or pretty much any of the other examples, he or she is mispronouncing those words, regardless of regional dialects. I could see how "warsh" would maybe be a dialect thing, but there is still no "r" in the word "wash."

I am also confused about your anti-semetic remark, as I am not Jewish, nor did I mention Jews anywhere in my post, jackass. (Again, please notice the comma before the word "jackass.")

Also, you seem to be having trouble grasping the difference between singular and plural. You see, when there are multiple people talking, they would be running their "mouths." Notice the "s" at the end. It is grammatically improper to say that they would be "running their mouth," unless they have only a single mouth among them.

In sum, next time you feel the need to leave a comment claiming to know something about the English language, make sure you use proper English, jackass. In addition, please refrain from using racial or religious slurs, as it completely destroys what little credibility you may have had.

Sincerely,
GMYH

Anonymous said...

I was looking for posts along these lines so as to leave my personal peeves out there to see who else hates it as much as I do. I am from UPSTATE NY not the city. There are a couple groups of folks who drive me nuts. People from Long Island seem to think that the G in words like "hanger" (as in clothes hanger) has to be specifically pronounced in the word IE "hanGah." The G in Long Island gets tacked on like an extra syllable so it's now LonGuh Island in their dialect. Not to mention they swim in the "waaduh" not water. Then there's the folks of New England who instead of 'parking their cars in the yard', they "paak the caa in the yaad" Where did the R in those 3 words go up north? To me when a person(s) speaks with a distinct annunciation which reflects missing or added letter sounds then they are in fact mispronouncing the word as far as I'm concerned. I seem to recall in grade school when learning letter sounds how words like "car" or "hanger" could be sounded out phonetically to pronounce the word correctly. How anyone anywhere can take the word "yard" with a Y, an A an R and a D and come up with y-a-a-d, or hanger becomes hanGah baffles me. Whenever I converse with people from either of the two above mentioned groups and I hear key words that tell you immediately where an individual is from, I love nothing more than repeating the same key words back to them in just the same as I hear them say it, yet the truly amazing thing about it is that they pick up on it and wonder why I talk that way. I can't help but figure why they don't hear it when talking with their own kind. After all, the word car spoken as caa is caa whether it comes out of a New Englander's mouth or mine, yet they know the difference somehow...very curious indeed.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing so hard it hurts, please make it stop! Eltse drives me crazy too. I met this guy at a place I worked. He kept saying it, and inside I would cringe almost every time. Then I met his girlfriend, and she said it that way too. Now I watch movies and listen to actors on television, and I hear it almost daily. It drives me insane. Oddly enough eltse it the only one that seems to bother me though. I live in an area where warsh and ornge are pretty common. Perhaps eltse just sounds like someone trying to be upper class to me I don't know.

Anonymous said...

So, this really irritates me. When you say--excuse me--shit like "It doesn't have a 't' in it, you are showing that you clearly have not actually read half of the words in the English language. There is no written "ch" in situation, no 'j' in education, and we generally don't pronounce brought as broft. And everyone knows about the 'often' debate (Hint: don't go by the orthography.) Spelling means nothing in English. It is arbitrary, and you are being nonsensical and foolish so suggest otherwise. There is no proper English, it's all just class wars and regionalism. Don't say that TV-standard is the most grammatically systematic version. Screw that. English is not systematic. It is messy, contradicts itself, and any attempts to centralize the language should only be made so far that everyone can understand each other. Take a deep breath, accept other's differences, and think once in a while.
-A Yalie

GMYH said...

Calm down, Yalie. This isn't an issue I have with regional dialects (except for maybe "warsh"), "class wars," or whether words in the English language are pronounced phonetically. I fully understand that English is a strange language that has taken words from various other langauges, so there are no rules. The issue I have (or at least had 8 years ago) is with mispronounced words by people who should know better. Granted, I didn't go to an Ivy League school like you did, so my meager command of the English language obviously isn't as great as yours, but you aren't going to be able to convince me that it's okay to pronounce "else" as "eltse." There simply is no "t" in the word, and it's not a regional pronunciation, a class issue, or about "accepting other's [sic] differences." It's just wrong.

Blake N said...

Just like when Brett Favre pronounces his name as Farv.

Blake N said...

Don't forget expecially. How do you add an x to especially?

Doc said...

Yes I am in complete agreeance folks do not appreciate the reverberated reuse of their misenunciated and mispronounced orating, when fruition is used with an l replacing the r being pronounced fluition, I'm pretty sure the gates of hell open a little each time.