Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Envy Me

Rather than study for that little two-day exam that I have in 6 days that will determine whether or not I can practice law in Illinois, tonight I will be going to see none other than Def Leppard and Journey, together in concert at the First Midwest Amphitheater in lovely Tinley Park, Illinois.

The last time I saw Def Leppard was the last non-30-in-8 time I puked (from alcohol, that is -- I'm sure we all remember the less than desirable results of my trip to Panes several days after I moved to Chicago). It was August 9, 2005, and the Def Leppard/Bryan Adams train had pulled into Fifth Third Field in Dayton for what would I'm sure be an unforgettable experience for both entities. The Dayton Daily News documented my presence at the concert.
Yes, I am wearing a sleeveless Def Leppard Union Jack t-shirt. The very same one I will be wearing tonight. I might die.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll envy you when you stop wearing the t-shirt of the band who's concert you're at.

GMYH said...

And I'll envy you when you learn the difference between "who's" and "whose."

If there is a more appropriate venue for my sleeveless Union Jack shirt, then please enlighten me.

Anonymous said...

what does that fat chick's sign say... and is it written in def leppard hieroglyphics?

GMYH said...

The "sign" is what appears to be a vintage Def Leppard bandana. The only thing it says is "Hysteria" across the center of it. There are no such thing as "Def Leppard hieroglyphics," although I shall now strive to invent such a thing.

My guess is that her cranium has grown considerably since 1987, when she was 17 and bought the bandana before a Def Leppard show at which she met some 22-year-old dude named Scott that banged her in the parking lot afterward in the back of his IROC. If she were to now attempt to put it on her head, it would be kind of like Barry Bonds trying to put on the Pirates hat he wore in the 1988 season. Might as well be a thimble.

Anonymous said...

do you remember this as we were standing in the middle of the field on probably the hottest day of the year?

30-something drunk girl in black tank top with bra showing and bleached, permed hair: i named my little girl after them (referring to def leppard).

lemar, jessie, holt, me and katie, etc.: yes....

drunk girl: you know how they're like from britain?

group: um, sure....

drunk girl: her name's britanny. (apparently satisfied with her mastery of linguistics)

tricky! i just thought it was funny. sort of a while back "overheard at a concert". hopefully you'll run into some of the same fan base.