Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Book: Oh The Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey

Last Friday I finished The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis. It didn't seem to get as high marks from reviewers on Amazon, compared to some of his other books, but I enjoyed it just as much as his others. The book is a series of loosely interconnected short stories unrelated to Toronto-based rapper Snow, but delightful nonetheless. It is sent in LA in the early '80s, and all of the stories are told in the first-person (as is Ellis's style) from various characters' points of view. There's even one from a vampire's point of view, which is apparently not going to be included in the upcoming film version. Anyway, I liked it.

This morning I started Oh The Glory of It All by Sean Wilsey, a memoir about some dude whose parents were San Franciscan socialites back in the day. Jessie said I would like it. We'll see. It did prompt Wilsey's mom to write a responsorial memoir called Oh The Hell of It All, so that's at least interesting.

Taking a -- wait for it -- page from Beth and Jaleh, I'm going to start listing the books I've read over the course of the year. We'll see if I can beat last year's seemingly insurmountable total of thirteen.

Books read in 2009:
The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis

1 comment:

Lauren said...

This was one of my favorite books read of 2007. I liked the second half better than the first. I wasn't surprised to hear that Wilsey and Eggers are buds.