Friday, February 05, 2010

Super? Bowl

I'll admit it. I'm excited for Sunday's Super Bowl. I think the two best teams are playing, which is the first time in a while I can remember that happening, and I think Super Bowl XLIV is going to be a great game.

To confirm my suspicions, I took a look at Super Bowl and playoff history, and I was right, kind of. While it has been a long time since two No. 1 seeds have made it to the Super Bowl (and that is a relatively rare occurrence), my hope for a close game may be just a pipe dream.

The last time two No. 1 seeds met in the Super Bowl was when Dallas and Buffalo met in Super Bowl XXVIII after the 1993 season, with the Cowboys trouncing the Bills 30-13 (and Buffalo losing their fourth consecutive Super Bowl -- Muthafuckalo indeed). Other than that, two No. 1 seeds have met only 7 other times:
-Super Bowl XXVI (Redskins 37 Bills 24)
-Super Bowl XXIV (49ers 55 Broncos 10)
-Super Bowl XIX (49ers 38 Dolphins 16)
-Super Bowl XVIII (Raiders 38 Redskins 9)
-Super Bowl XVI (49ers 26 Bengals 21)
-Super Bowl XII (Cowboys 27 Broncos 10)
-Super Bowl XI (Raiders 32 Vikings 14)

When two No. 1 seeds have met, the average score is 35.4 to 14.6. As you can see, only one of those games had a margin of victory of less than 13 points, and a 1 vs. 1 matchup provided the most lopsided result in Super Bowl history (the 45-point beat down administered by the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIV). The Saints have history on their side, as the NFC is 6-2 in 1 vs. 1 Super Bowls (and holds a 29.5-20.5 margin in average points scored in 1 vs. 1 games). Then again, the AFC was horrendous for a 15-year span, winning only one Super Bowl between XV and XXXII (the aforementioned Raiders victory in Super Bowl XVIII).

With that, my prediction is: Saints 35 Colts 31 Ditka 412.

(A note: Before the 1975 season, there was no real seeding system for the NFL playoffs, as the home teams were decided based on a yearly rotation and, thus, there was not necessarily any home-field advantage for the best teams. Thus, I excluded any Super Bowls before the 1975-76 season (i.e., Super Bowl X). From what I could tell, two pre-1975 Super Bowls pitted the best teams from each league against each other: Super Bowl I (Packers 35 Chiefs 10) and Super Bowl VII (Dolphins 14 Redskins 7). If those games are added to the mix, then the average score would be 33.2 to 13.4.)

No comments: