Monday, February 01, 2010

A Bacon Burger Dog?

As you may know, I'm a huge fan of The Cosby Show. One of Cliff's many culinary creations was something called the bacon burger dog (as well as the less-daunting burger dog). We never actually see what a bacon burger dog looks like, leaving our imagination to wander and wonder. Saturday night, I may have created the closest thing.

We had some buffalo* burgers in our freezer, and we decided that it was high time to imitate the frontiersmen by annihilating what remaining buffalo we had. Like any good American, I devised a way to extract any health benefits from the more-healthy buffalo burger. Here is what I created:
I call it The Muthafuckalo Burger, named after a hairy buffalo party Tradd and I once threw in the summer of '03 to get rid of all our booze before moving out of our place in B-town. The Muthafuckalo is an apt name for the burger for two reasons: (1) a couple days before we threw the Muthafuckalo party, one of our stoner neighbors told us he had a buffalo hook-up, and asked us if we wanted a real, live buffalo calf for the party, the only catch being that it was something like $800 and we would have to keep it after the party**; and (2) the Muthafuckalo party was a total sausage fest.

The layers from top to bottom are as follows:

1. Bun with mayo and ketchup
2. Raw onion rings
3. Fried egg (cooked in bacon grease, of course)
4. Chili dog-flavored hot dog, sliced lengthwise and in half. Yes, you read that correctly: chili dog-flavored hot dogs. My dad got them from Rice's Quality Farm Meats, a small, family-owned meat processor/packer in Spencer, Indiana that makes and sells these hot dogs (as well as many other meats). The dogs taste exactly like chili dogs, but without the mess of chili or diced onions. They also a make chili cheese dog variety, which is equally as good.
5. Bacon
6. American (obviously) cheese
7. Buffalo burger
8. Bun

It was pretty damn good, especially when accompanied by tater tots I seasoned with Lantana (the Tex-Mex seasoning, not the toxic plant).

*Yes, I realize that there is technically no such thing as a North American buffalo, and that it is actually a bison. I'm just going by what the package called the meat. I assume it's a cape buffalo.
**We did not take him up on his offer, mostly because we didn't want a buffalo.

2 comments:

wee wee said...

Although that looks like an amazing meal I am a fan of the fact that you are eating off of a paper plate to avoid doing dishes. I also do the same thing. Lesli hates it. I used to know an old widower who covered his counter tops with newspapers so he didn't have to wipe them down after he cooked. HILARIOUS!

tron said...

i am a fan of this