Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tuesday Top Ten: College Basketball Dunks

In honor of the 70th anniversary of the first dunk in a college basketball game, ESPN compiled a list of Top 10 Dunks in NCAA History.  As the writer notes, it's limited in a lot of respects because of the availability of footage of dunks.  Overall, I think the list is pretty fair.  Lane's backboard-shattering dunk certainly deserves to be at the top of any such list, and I'm glad to see Darvin Ham getting some love.  I would have thought Bobby Hurley's alley oop to Grant Hill in the 1991 NCAA Championship game would have made the list, but what are you gonna do?  For a more comprehensive list/video, click here for a post I had a few years ago with the Top 50 college basketball dunks ever.  Some of the dunks on ESPN's list only made the honorable mention on the Top 50 video.  To each his own, I guess.

Here are some of the best dunks I remember seeing by IU players.  I'm not necessarily saying these are better than any of the dunks on ESPN's list -- just saying these were sweet.  They are in no particular order, other than the first one.

-My freshman year at IU, Charlie Miller threw down an insane dunk from the wing that might be the best dunk I've ever seen in person (outside of multiple dunks by Ronnie Fields in the 1994 Proviso West Holiday Tournament, a couple of which can be seen between the 29-second and 40-second marks and at the 1:05 mark of this video).  I wish there was video evidence of this because it was ridiculous.

-In 2002, Jeff Newton posterized Illinois's Lucas Johnson (in the game I referred to yesterday in which IU hit 17 3s en route to an 88-57 demolishing of the Illini).


-Will Sheehey's dunk against Iowa in 2011 was pretty good.


-Troy Williams had a pretty sweet alley oop that was waved off because of an offensive foul in IU's win over Michigan on February 7.


-Victor Oladipo's in-game 360 in the Big Ten Tournament in 2013.


-And, of course, Victor Oladipo had the greatest missed dunk of all-time, in IU's win over then-#1 Michigan in 2013.

No comments: