Monday, December 21, 2015

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: New Holland Cabin Fever

At about 4:45 this afternoon, I got a call from the wife.  Despite the fact that she refused to play "angry housewife and incompetent customer service agent" with me, I didn't hang up on her before she mentioned that she wanted to take the kids to Rocks for dinner to meet up with some friends.  Knowing that I still needed two beers to complete the 12 Beers of Christmas, I obliged, hiding my giddiness.  One of the remaining beers on the list was New Holland's Cabin Fever.  New Holland is one of the many excellent breweries in southwest Michigan (along with Bell's, Dark Horse, Arcadia, Founders, Greenbush, and Brewery Vivant, among others), and Cabin Fever is one of my favorite New Holland offerings.  It's technically a brown ale, but it drinks more like a porter, with a nice roasted malt flavor.  At 6.5% ABV, it's not too strong, either, so you can have a few while your kids don't eat the mac and cheese they ordered.

Name:  Cabin Fever Brown Ale
Brewery:  New Holland Brewing Company
Location:  Holland, Michigan
ABV: 6.5%
IBU:  25
Good for drinking if:  you got a pretty good laugh when your friend spilled a full pint of porter on the crotch of his khakis five minutes after sitting down
Rating (out of 5 stars):  4.25 stars

No comments: